What do you think of this exhuast?

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
You could cut up your stock exhaust, use that for mounting to the engine. and get some silicone tubing(like SBP) then you can cut the pocket bike exhaust wherever it'll work best.

eg:http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/killercanuck77/Bike stuff/Pictures004.jpg

That tubing was a little close, but I had to run the pipe going up. It wouldn't work going under, not enough clearance. You might have better luck.

Here's a sitting vid of that bike running. On the street it did have alot more power over stock, and that's just a small chamber for a totally different engine :p
‪sumslakker's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

gl with what you guys get ^_^ May your mounting be easy!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got the pocket bike pipe on ebay for 35 with free shipping and the OP has a pic linked with that same pipe mounted on an mb with no modification. I can see that some people on here like to say negative things to mess with other people but you ain't messin with me. I ordered that pipe and its gonna be here Thursday and its the pipe I'm gonna use and that's that. haters hate but I don't care.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
yeah well that's nice. I'm not gonna get into a debate about how things work. I have been down that road before. as a matter of fact I think I will not even share my experience with this pipe. I am so tired of negative people on this website. I am done with the negativity and crap talk. not gonna debate anymore with anyone on here about anything. I'm done. you can insist whatever you want. I don't care anymore.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Were I to insist anything, it's that you lighten up and learn to take constructive criticism, learn from other people's experience. This is a great resource for information, and to network with other people. If I wanted to just talk into the wind and not hear anything back, I'd blog, not come into a forum.

We don't know that there was no modification to the one in the first pic - that person hasn't stepped up to say if they have or not, or to it's performance.

Now, as far as the bend, yes - it's sharp. It's not as extreme as the headtube pinch on a stock exhaust, but it's still not good. That's the exit from the expansion chamber though. Personally, I wouldn't run something with such a long restrictive stinger and small chamber - though it does look cool. Replacing the muffler with another expansion chamber would be the only way I could think to get any performance gain.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
that's all fine well and good but I'm stil not gonna debate about it. my new pipe will be here on Thursday. when I get it I will know how it fits and how it works. and I will keep it to myself. thank you.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Cough Cough goes the exhaust. Pretty sure your thread title was "What do you think about this exhaust?" My thoughts were stated and were factually based. I didn't mean any negativity. Just what I saw from the items you had posted. It's just science, not negativity. I was just trying to help you not blow $40 on a turd. To each their own. Kinked pipes are the way to go...you should check out JNMotors. They've got some awesome parts for way too much money. 3hp gain for just a pipe. Triple your horsepower! Why not add some sweet NOS! Sorry, may have went a bit overboard there...

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
ok let me say a couple things. one, this wasn't my thread. two, I take everything everyone says on the internet at face value. when someone insists on something, it becomes a debate or an argument. at that point its a total waste of time. three, any exhaust with an expansion chamber is better than stock. especially when you consider that I was running an improperly modified stock exhaust and my engine lost power because of it. so any exhaust that works is better than that. I looked at stock exhausts on ebay and they cost the same as what I paid for the pocket bike pipe. if I do get a performance gain from this pipe, that's a bonus. as long as I'm not losing power over the stock exhaust, its not a waste of money. I didn't buy this pipe because someone said it would triple my power. the main reason I bought it was because it has a tailpipe that goes to the rear. I never liked having the exhaust right underneath me because I can't stand the smell of it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Debate and disagreement isn't a bad thing, in fact so long as it's kept civil it provides an excellent opportunity for a learning experience, to gain perspective, to lean things you might not have known otherwise.

What point would there be to making a statement that's to be no more than accepted at face value, without input, the experiences of others - most particularly if they're not in 100% agreement with whatever is said?

The whole point of a forum is to share your opinions and ideas with others, sharing entails their input as well. Blogs with the comments hidden or off are for grand proclamations unchallenged by anyone else's views...

This is not a blog.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Science is science. Physics is physics. A less restricted path is always better. Internet or not. Add in properly tuned return pulses on a 2 stroke motor and you get even better results. Next time you go to Taco Bell, take your straw and bend like the pipe you ordered and see what happens...

Last edited by a moderator:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Thanks Wake!

It doesn't look like that chamber is very large, and also has a very long pipe coming off the back. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how it performs, and preferably both before and after someone cleans up that sharp bend/fold.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I looked at an expansion chamber sold by a supplier. it looks to be smaller than the one on this muffler. it also has no header, tailpipe or muffler. I dont know how that one works, and i dont know what the size of the chamber has to do with its performance.. but the point is there are all kinds of different pipes out there. in my mind, an epansion chamber is an expansion chamber. I have used several different pipes on pocketbikes. some with short headers, some with long. some with tail pipes, some without. they all really seem to work about the same for me.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
when I say several different pipes I am referring to pipes with expansion chambers. they all worked about the same for me. better than stock, but one wasn't better than another.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
I am currently running the same pocket bike exhaust- after some tuning mods.....more than I care to mention- I have enough bottom end torque to start from a dead stop, well, on flat ground anyway.
Overall I like the performance enough that I'm not changing it- for me it works great!

I might also ad that with all the differences in performance that these motors have, this is just my experience- to each his own.

-Richard.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
so anyway, I got the pocket bike exhaust. I'm working on getting it on my bike. for anyone who is cobsidering this pipe, be aware it does need modification. I bought a hacksaw and cut off pieces. the first thing I cut was the flange. I cut the header off the stock exhaust. I also cut off the bent section of tailpipe. I didn't cut the tailpipe because I was worried about it being too restrictive. I cut it because I didn't like the way it sat. I don't have access to a welder, so I bought a fiberglass patch at auto zone. the fiberglass holds the pipe together but doesn't seal it. so I'm going to use muffler cement to seal leaks. I had some cement but I'm out so I have to wait till Thursday to get more. all that's left is to join the head pipe to the extension chamber and seal everything up. the expansion chamber will sit under the engine next to the bottom bracket and the tail pipe points up so that the muffler sits against the frame next to where the brake is.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't have to wait till Thursday. I remembered that I had some Indian Head gasket sealant so I decided to shellac the whole thing because that will probably hold up better than muffler cement. the cement sometimes flakes and cracks. I shellaced the expansion chamber tailpipe and muffler today. its drying. tomorrow I will join the header to the rest of the pipe and shellac the last section of pipe. it should be all dry and ready to install on Wednesday.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the indian head didn't work so great. it sealed some of the leaks, but it doesn't stand heat. I was joining the pies back together with a tiger patch, and since I had to do it one piece at a time, I was baking it in the oven. it works. but some of the indian head melted off in the oven. so I hought some exhaust system repair putty the other day. its kinda like muffler cement but comes in a tube instead of a can and its a lot harder. so the muffler is done but I haven't had a chance to put it on yet. I will report my results back when I get a chance.