huffy beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

dylanriha

Mar 8, 2014
Florida
Okay I recently bought a "80cc" motor for my huffy beach cruiser. It was an engine from eBay from China or something. I spent 4 hours putting every single piece on. When I rode it the chain would get very hard to move then make a snapping sound but nothing would snap. Just the chain would pop off. (The clutch works fine) when you roll the bike and the chain moves you can feel in the little gearbox that holds the sprocket start to tense up then finally make the snapping noise. Any ideas what's wrong?? My chain is very tight on it and it rolls fine up until one section of the chain. Please help! :-||

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just by your description, it sounds like you may need to make sure that your back wheel sprocket isn't quite centered on your wheel. Also, the chain shouldn't be 'fiddle string' tight........it should have about 1/2" to 3/4" of play when you push down on the top of the chain. However, it may just be as simple as the chain needs lube or the chain has a slightly bent link.

Good luck on your project!!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Make sure the chain isn't binding at the drive cog if it is you'll need to straighten out the engine where it mounts that snapping could be where the chain is meeting that drive cog and that means the teeth are barely grabbing the inner roller of the chain, check it out and check it off the trouble shooting list.

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
you can also check the alignment of the tensioner pulley, if it's off center it will throw the chain off. as for the popping and crunching noises they are not uncomon on a new build. i've found that if you can get it started and can keep the chain on then you can ride it around the block a few times it will usually get the parts to mesh together correctly. the first ride on a new build is always dangerous so wear a helmet, take it slow at first, keep the ride short and close to home and above all CHECK YOUR BOLTS.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That sound is the chain trying to come off the sprocket and snapping back on. It suggests you have a sprocket alignment issue. It should roll freely in BOTH directions with no tight or loose spots in the rotation for reliability.

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Sorry for replying to an older post here, but no one got the right answer yet.:) The chain supplied with these 80cc 2 stroke kits from eBay is bigger than what the engine was designed for and the chain is scraping on the inside of your drive sprocket cover. This is what your's will look like when you take it off.

The fix is to make a notch in the sprocket cover with a bench grinder. Just put the part of the cover with the gouge up to the grinding stone and let the sparks fly. Make the cut about a 1/4" - 3/8" deep.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Which way do you have your master link on the chain fitted , similar was happening to me , I worked out that the clip for the master link should be fitted so it faces away from the bike

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
I think I've got my master link clip facing the left side of the bike. Either way you can see by the photo that all of the links are scraping and not just the master link clip. Hence the reason that the chain would pop and clink all the time and not just once every chain revolution.

Grinding the notch out is well worth the minute or so it takes to get the job done. Since you'd grind the notch on the side of the cover, you can't even see it once you put it back to together.