A Bike Called "Murder"- BuildThread

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Micargi Mustang GTS
That's Dax FS80 w/RT head/NT carb
Manic Mechanic Hub Adapter -40t, countersunk
Gasbike Universal Motor Mount
Wald 13.5in Hi Rise handlebars (bikewagon)
Heavy Duty coaster brake rear wheel (SpookyTooth)
6v Sanyo block dynamo w/ halogen light (random bike parts)

Product notes:
Had I known MM offers universal motor mounts, with custom sizes, I'd have ordered from him, and still may. The gasbike mount (as Motokity discovered) is too large a diameter for the bottom tube, and a bushing will have to be made. The MM mount would FIT.
The wheel ordered from SpookyTooth actually came from bikeberry. I tried to give business to an Arizona company, instead, those crooks at BB got my hard earned cash. Had I known aforehand, I would have gladly spent my money with Lynn at custommotoredbicycles.com where I would have received a much better product for the same price. I will not use or recommend SpookyTooth again, I was lied to.
The forks of my bike came out of the box FUBAR. One hole is drilled in the wrong spot, resulting in bad alignment of the spring with the center of the forks. The wheel is affected to a lesser degree, and I continue to seek remediation without replacement. It should also be noted that the forks are of obvious low quality and are noisy.
Duane builds fabulous motors, I have nothing but praise for him and his company.

Well...the parts are all in, I've stripped and regreased the wheelset, partially broke in the motor on Tanglebones, before his retirement due to metal fatigue. A SBP expansion chamber and a pair of heavy duty springer forks are in the works, and both time and money are trading places, as I seem to end up with one and not the other. Soon though, wrenches will be turned...

More to come, stay tuned!

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Me too. I like the mustang. Send me a link to that nitrite mount if you get it if it's a better fit. Mines been holding up great, no issues with the metal shim i used. Let me know if you have any questions on anything.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Take a set of calipers to the bottom bar bud, which my eyes tell me is 1 and 1/4 inch O.D. as opposed to the mount's 1 and 1/2 inch I.D. I made a bushing out of PVC today, we'll see how it works. Manic Mechanic sells 1.25 I.D. motor mounts. I bet the calipers says I'm right. I feel like a stooge for not looking around, I should have known that gasbike was ripping off someone's idea. For $42 I could have a proper mount. Instead I got a crap one and bought an overpriced center kickstand to avoid shipping costs, I paid $46...for nothing to fit properly... Jackwagon I am! After spending an hour shaping PVC, I realised I could have the bike dang near put together if I wasn't screwing around with a file.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well, despite a lack of tensioners, I managed to get it started today. Despite the beautiful balance of my Dax motor, there's still considerable vibrations being distributed through the frame.

As I watched, standing in the morning sun, boots untied in the driveway, Murder began it's first shakedown, by shaking itself apart. My gender confused Micargi dropped the acorn nut off of it's crappy forks, and of course the washer behind it. The wee little bolt and nut securing the coaster brake vanished, never to be found. And as expected, my sprocket adapter loosened itself right up. A lack of blue Loctite is currently as crippling as a lack of tensioners.

More coming soon, hopefully...

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I had the same issue with the coaster bolt but the fork had held up great. Glad you got it started though. Blue loctite will become your best friend. And double nuts.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
...And lock washers and Nyloc nuts... I'll fix this wagon yet!

Reading your build thread, I noticed you had bent forks out of the box, but apparently got them replaced, I should have done the same, as the holes in mine are asymmetrical, but I kind of intended their replacement with a set of Harley replica springers, to help complete the classic chopper look. Also, I've got an issue with returning mail/phone/online products, once I've got the item in hand, I make it work.

Ps my seat frame came out of the box bent too, but it's damn comfy!

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Got to take it out for a nice little ride with my friend Scotty. Need to jet leaner, but, I'm hoping on a SBP expansion chamber kit soon, and don't want to lean out till I see how that does. The banana kinda sucks. The bike did hit 36.9mph regardless, and rides very nice. Gets lots of stares and comments. Very fun ride, can't wait to finish buying all my parts. Like a nice set of springer forks, the SBP pipe, a spring loaded, clutch mounted chain tensioner, and a few other things.

A few new pics in my albums.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Looks good. Watch the springs on the seat. Mine broke. I hit 36 once but I think the temperature has allot to do with it. What did you do on the bike chain side to clear the motor?

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I used a FUBARed kit tensioner, which is currently working, but really kinda sucks. I need a half link for the pedal chain, it's tight as a piano wire, and I'm almost out of the drop outs, if the tensioner wasn't trash, it wouldn't be an issue.

It was about 75-80° yesterday when I opened her up, but I agree, temperature has a lot to do with it, these things always run better in cool weather. I'm also running a 40t sprocket, so that might be part of it.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I'm about 165, 6'2". After I get my SBP pipe, I'm going to give a 36t a shot. I think part of my top speed advantage might come from the inch long header on the banana pipe, I reckon it puts my power band way up high, but I'm just guessing.

Its certainly a lot faster than my buddy Scotty's bike. He's been building MBs for longer than I've been alive, and can't figure out why his bike just won't keep up. Scott is my benchmark, my bike must be better, faster, sexier, etcetra, or I'm not doing it right!

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Pistonbikes has one, I think it's Turbobuik1's design, the spring type, that attaches to the clutch cover. Its about $40 and I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the compliment, I do try.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well, I pulled the trigger on my SBP pipe and my chain tensioner, stretching my shoestring budget to a piano wire tension. Its worth it though, to have a nice bike to cruise around on, and mine is far and away the nicest on the mountain that I know of. Next, I'll replace the slip shod gasbike mount for a Manic Mechanic one that actually fits my frame, and perhaps a second, just to move the motor forward and up so I can eliminate the tensioner on the pedal side. That may also require a different intake to get the carb clear of the frame. There's a few other things I have in mind...

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
The next big ticket will be a set of the Springer forks from Lynn, the Harley replica type. After that, a SA drum front brake. Little stuff will come as it comes, like finishing off my electrical system.
I've got a 6v Sanyo generator that will feed a battery, lights and possibly a cell phone charger. Found some LED ground effect lighting in the bike section of Wal-Mart awhile back, I mounted the green set I got to my frame stays for the time being. Kinda showcases the motor. I intend to light this bike up like a Christmas tree, on the rare occasions I ride at night, I ride a long way through empty wilderness. I want to be seen, not a statistic.