Vintage look spark plug wire

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I found a cheap and easy way to add another vintage touch to my bike. It occured to me that my wife's clothesline rope had the right look. It was pretty easy to pull the sheath off a short piece of rope and slide it over my spark plug wire.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Now that is a class addition. Hat's off to you, wret.

Just a suggestion but I wonder if a trip to an antique store would be worth while and seeing if you could find an old telephone. That fabric covered wire they used to use on the handset would also be a good alternative to black rubber. It would also have an 'aged' look. Naturally you'd have to use only the covering over real ignition wire.
Nevertheless, your clothes line idea is a great one. It looks good. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Very nice wret. I'll have to look Home Depot over when I get there. Tom's right about antique stores. My favorite has always been an antique store or a thrift shop. A lot of the old appliances had cloth covered wire especially irons and they are usually pretty cheap.

Steve.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I didn't realize there were inexpensive options for authentic looking wire. My own searches turned up kits in the $20 range; a little too much for a frill.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are people who are known to be "close with their money", tight fisted. I am not tight fisted, I am clenched.

Butch55

May 31, 2015
Hamler Ohio
Several sellers on ebay have cloth covered spark plug wire as well as cloth covered primary wire in various gauges. Lots of colors too.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
When I read the thread heading I immediately thought of the old cloth covered iron cord. Then I read further and found Fasteddy had already suggested it. Great minds think alike.

You could also use a fat shoelace. Some of them have patterns and some are black or other colours but they need to be the fat ones. The laces are really just a tube of fabric that has been flattened. They will open up easy to shove a plug wire through.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Ya I'm sure bungee casing would work if you have it. If your going to buy something buy the new wire especially to replace the 2 stroke stock wire.