Vintage Motorbike Build

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I've been thinking about what I was going to be tinkering with when My Whizzer is running, been reading the Early Motorcycles construction,operation,and repair book and looking at early motorcycles online. I've built a few boardtracker style bike, and I think I'd like to build something more of a early cruising motorbike.
I purchased a repop Roadmaster which shipped today.I want to use a HF212 in the vertical position, and I really want to use the Sportsman Flyer reduction drive.. I don't think the 212 will fit in the frame without modifying, the frame won't be here until next week so I don't know for sure. I purchased some frame jig plans also that look relative easy to put together, for adding some real estate to the engine compartment or maybe a keystone mount....lots of questions while I wait for the frame and the 212 to drop to $99.
This is the style motorbike I'm thinking, 1913 Reading Standard
The 1919 BSA

My Frame

And these are the jig plans I ordered, looks pretty straight forward, I can gather most of the smaller parts at work.http://m.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-frame...per-bike-or-/262237782292?txnId=1799162580016

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Here are my mounts ...lil different but cheap. Used the heavy gauge mini bike mount 12 bucks . The front mount is the extra piece I cut off mini bike plate

Attachments

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
I'm thinking of making a similar build. Maybe the 1928 BSA but those rear tire tubes will have to be cut and extended.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
So as you can see I've decided to go a totally different way with this build, I was looking at the frame one night and had been over the Atomic Zombie site earlier in the day and this popped into my head... a fastback tadpole. I've got some 16" motorcycle rims on order for the front and a 19 for the back. I can't really get going on building this until I get the wheels all set ...and I will start a new thread in the proper forum. The seat is a KMX recumbent tadpole seat.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I agree a gypsy fortune teller wouldn't have seen that one coming! Close to a 180 degree "bootlegger" turn, but I bet it will turn into beautiful Tadpole. I too will watch, but with a bowl of popcorn.
Rick C.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I really like the looks of this, and some of the plans I have from AZ use a dual pedal system.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Chainmaker,

I'm seeing some great possibilities in the tri car. Rear clip from an old motorcycle mated to a frame to the front axle which could be either an old go kart or better still a golf cart front axle. Honda 90 front wheels with the bearings swapped out ( I have the bearing numbers if you need them for 3/4" spindles.) and a moped rear drum so you have the pedal and motor drive sprockets laced into a Honda rim.

The rest is pretty straight forward. Do you have a link for the photo?

Steve.