I could use help on a build

GoldenMotor.com

Mech

Dec 24, 2015
East Bay
Hey there.
My name is Andy.
I am just about to order parts to build a GT type motorized bike.
I really know nothing about this, and that is about as good as I am.
Recently I inherited a motorized bike (heck I'm really not sure if that is what they are called) that will be ride worthy just as soon as the UPS truck gets here and I'm sure there will be some tweaking.
I have built some nice Harley's,Ducati's and dual sports.
But I'd like to build one that is special for me so I can have another to ride with the wife or the kids.
I'd like to get one of them aluminum frames with a built in gas tank.
Thing is I'm not sure about which to get.
The one I really dig that polished one from kings but it doesn't have the front motor mount.
Unless I mig weld it none of my welding machines will do aluminum.
I would also like something better than that springer forks that they sell, maybe like a telescoping tube system.
Also would dig discs that would stop a big ass motor.
Also saw this single rear sprocket set up that looks bad ass.
Like to set up something like that.
Is there any chance any of you could show me some links or items that could make this build bad ass?
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thank you.
Andy

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Andy.
You've found the right place to help you with your project.
I'm not quite sure what your plans are as far as a motorized bicycle but as you progress with your project maybe we can offer some specific help and advice.

Our 'Search' feature might offer some assistance as well as members being ready and willing to share their knowledge and experience. Specific questions will get a better response as opposed to simply saying "any help would be appreciated".

Good luck and have fun with your first motorized bicycle project.

Tom

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Andy, I guess the first thing to ask yourself is what style of bike you want. Cruiser, boardtrack, cafe, something in between. You'll want a good solid frame and wheels. Then decide what engine you want, two stroke, four stroke. Then consider your budget. You can search around here on the forum through the various threads and get an idea of how you want the bike to turn out by looking at other members builds.

A good place to start is the pre-motorizing section. And think about how you want to use the bike, just put putting around or keep up with traffic. Occasional use or regular transport. You can keep things pretty simple or get fairly complicated. Think about the environment you'll be riding in, lots of hills to climb or flatland.

good luck and have fun

Mech

Dec 24, 2015
East Bay
Hey thanks for the warm welcome and advice guys.
I really appreciate it.
I'm thinking I need to is slow down a bit, do a bit of research then properly ask about the items I really need help with.
Thanks again and I hope all of you have great Holiday season.
Andy

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Welcome to the forum! The built in motor mount on some of the frames with built in tanks has been problematic so research those heavily first. I like the style of the ones with the straighter tank and no built in mount myself. There are several very solid solutions to the front motor mount that give you other freedom that it's actually a minus in most cases. Again welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your progress.
Lee