Piston arrow direction?

GoldenMotor.com

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
Thanks for the previous help, now I need to know which way should the piston be put in. It has an arrow on one side and a 5 on the other. I was thinking the arrow should face the exhaust.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Arrows usually face the exhaust, but there are triangles that point to the intake.
However, the only thing that matters is that the ring pins are on the intake side.

Make sure that the ring ends are around the pins in the ring grooves as you install the piston into the cylinder or you will break the rings.

Did the piston come already installed in the cylinder?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
This seems like a good thread to ask-
Do you guys have to check the ring end-gaps or are they plug n play?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The ring end gaps are way too wide on these engines already so I'd say plug and play since you'll probably never find one that needs to be filed to fit...

Flathead

Aug 8, 2015
Glendale az
my arrow is placed on the. Exhaust side pointing to the Intake .I took this apart this way and put it together the same PIN s Don't align with ports

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the arrow makes no difference as it is sometimes on one side & other times on other side (and sometimes not there)

the locating pins should be straddling the intake port no matter where the arrow is or isn't