Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes/ Maybe, but I wouldn't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I hope this is the right section. As always, the palace guard should feel free to correct me ;)

A friend called with a small engine problem (they always do right?). He got a used generator for cheap. The story went; it was running, then made a terrible noise, then wasn't running.
We broke it apart and found that a connecting rod bolt had worked itself completely out.
I cleaned the internals thoroughly and was surprised at how little damage there was.
We straightened the vein/ fin, of the oil pickup/ wash, vent/ tube. Then we used steel wool on all the available mating surfaces, applied assembly lube, replaced the bolt and re-assembled the engine.
We're about ready to fire it up.

And then it came to me... let's bet on it! lol no, just a poll. But it should be fun to see.

Am I a slacker? I mean, would this be enough for you if YOU were doing it? I assured my buddy it was fine. Everybody does things a little differently though.

I intend to run it for about 30 minutes, then put it under load for about an hour and a half. After letting it cool thoroughly, I will repeat the above. That seems pretty good right?

So the poll is: Will this fix work?

I apologize for the pictures.

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It should work but how long it'll last depends on how well you checked and cleaned up the crank journal... it looks like it has some good sized grooves on the crank journal but that could be the camera exaggerating the way it really looks... was there any damage to the rod or the rod cap? Any marks fromnthe crank hitting the rod, cap, or crank journal? And if so, was the high metal removed from such nicks etc? If all the high metal from any of the nicks ( if there were any) and any deep gouges polished out it should be ok and should last just fine... if any of this got overlooked then how long it could last may be questionable.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto to Dave's advice. The bearing surfaces are the critical area of concern. That and making sure the rod cap bolts can't loosen again.

Let us know how it goes.

Tom