Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Am I even riding a bike?

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
So I have recently been plying the nets looking for what people consider the comfiest rides. The two that have stood out to me so far have been Brooks stretched leather saddles and cloud nine.
Do you feel one is superior over the other?
What saddle do you use and what is your target seat if you don't already have it?

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I have already mentioned a few times about my discomfort riding my OCC Stingray, But I don't think I have mentioned that I find it very comfortable when stationary. Ignoring the lack of shock absorption, the saddle on this bike may be the most comfortable I have tried. the whole issue becomes extra frustrating because I absolutely LOVE the way it looks.

I have never sat on a bike with a backrest before, but I really want to.
something like this maybe

the traditional shape of most bike seats just will not mesh with my butt, not sure why. and even though basically nobody would ever see the thing, I find myself seriously concerned with how the seat looks. that bikeberry link i posted there may be the most comfortable seat ever, but I'm not sure it would look good.
In that vein, a banana seat like an old beach cruiser (as far as I'm concerned) would look fantastic, but I have heard mention of that styles inherent lack of comfort. Though, if I do go that route, I plan on looking for a sprung post and sissy-bar.

just read over my post, basically to summarize: I have no idea what I am doing!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I gave up on bicycle saddles long ago. I never found one that was comfortable during/after a long ride. I build my own and style them after motorcycle saddles which are meant for comfort. Three inches of high density foam and shape that fits my skinny butt seems to work fine for me.

Saddles made for bicycles are designed for pedaling. I rarely if ever pedal so I don't need a seat made for it. But that's just me based on my experience.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Brooks, of course, have the reputation of being the saddle. The only reason I've never tried one is that I'm a bit afraid of spending that kind of money only to find that I'm unsatisfied for some reason or other. I suppose I'd also fear it's being stolen, too.

Cloud 9 is definitely a good saddle. And they can be improved if one is willing to try out some different springs. Though finding just the right spring can be a bit of a puzzle. Here's two that work pretty nicely.

Cloud 9 01.jpg
Cloud 9 02.jpg

And here's my newest saddle. I've only had it for a couple of weeks. But I'm impressed.
Avenir saddle.jpg

You can see that it has the front spring as well. Also the seat is on a sling of extension springs.

I've only ridden it on my pedal bike so far. But I can tell from that that it's the springiest saddle I've yet had. I expect that it's going to be right for a motored bike. Avenir is the brand. I'm pretty sure I ordered it from an Amazong vendor. I also bought another one just like it for my wife. And I think I bought that from Niagara Cycle.

I ought to think a bit about whether any of this site's sponsors offer this saddle. Because I ought to list them first. Maybe only. But I think the answer is "No". Still, if anyone is interested then please do check the sponsors first.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
ok time to stop neglecting this thread I started XD

@bluegoatwoods
Thats horrible XD Sounds like a wifey thing to say though.
That particularly springy saddle you have in that last picture is remarkably close to the brooks B66 that I have been oggling. and the springs on the first picture are intense!

@ Intrepid Wheelwoman
Have you run into any Issues with Brooks saddles? I hear you dont want them to get too wet because its not great for the leather.
And would you recommend a specific one of them? some of the places I ride seem to be mildly unkempt roadwise :(

@ Gorewound
I feel like that seat with backrest would be reasonable on a trike, If you do manage to slap it on a bike let us know how it works out for you :) The Companion Seat people who made the Back wrack/seat for my bike are currently starting a indigogo campaign for funding on a backrest for the back seat. Personally I think Ill skip it, I feel like it may make mounting/dismounting either of the seats a bit more difficult. I also say my passengers dont need to be leaning back while we are riding! x_x Im not sure what that would do for the balance on my bike But i doubt it would be good.

@2door
I can dig it, I like the option of peddling because it really helps me appreciate NOT peddling XD. I like the 3 inches of high density foam approach though, That will be taken into consideration ;)

@powertool
Did you use the stock springs that it came with or did you find some better ones?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
ok time to stop neglecting this thread I started XD

@ Intrepid Wheelwoman
Have you run into any Issues with Brooks saddles? I hear you dont want them to get too wet because its not great for the leather.
And would you recommend a specific one of them? some of the places I ride seem to be mildly unkempt roadwise :(
Most of the Brooks saddles I have came to me attached to elderly bicycles in various states of disrepair so by and large they were well broken in. I'm not really sure what models they are or even if they are still current models. I also have a pre-war 'Onyx' leather saddle which is very nice, but could really do with some new springs and a French 'Ideal' leather saddle which is as hard as a board and only gets used for display purposes. Apparently this is normal for 'Ideal' saddles and it's not so much that one breaks an Ideal saddle, but that instead the rider is broken in to the Ideal saddle. :eek:
I also own a very nice Mixte Framed 'Morrison' ten speed (a Kiwi made bike from when we still had a bicycle industry) which has a Japanese made 'Air-bike' leather saddle which is nice and comfortable.

The most important thing is to not let the saddles get dried out so working them over regularly with a leather dressing is really important. Once the leather starts to shrink too much or begins to get deep cracks it's pretty much all over. Getting a leather saddle wet in the rain isn't much of a problem so long as it's been properly maintained. The most important thing is to not try and dry them out too quickly after they have been wet or else the leather will shrink, become hard and brittle and lose its shape.

Oh, I've just remembered that I do have a Brooks saddle I broke in from new. It's an Indian made 'Brooks Supreme' that came with the Indian built 'Hercules' bicycle I used as a basis for my tricycle build. A wonderful thing with a huge hairpin spring at the front and a pair of wonderful curly springs at the rear. This has proved to be an excellent saddle and I can well recommend it. I did replace the Indian made bolts holding it all together though as they were pretty poor quality.

My usual habit on getting any bicycle whether it be a parts bike or a 'keeper' is to throw away the saddle if it's any kind of padded vinyl or plastic thing. No exceptions, no tears. If it's leather it's a keeper, if it's not it's the bin. The sole exception to this rule are classic mattress sprung leatherette saddles by such makers as 'Middlemore', 'Wrights', 'Terry' & etc because they are a nice ride too. My 70 year old daily rider ladies Hercules has a 'Wrights' mattress saddle and it has proved to be so good I have no plans to replace it. The 'Terry' three spring mattress saddles are good too.

The Chinese are now making traditional style leather saddles by the way and I'm planning on getting one to try. The price is certainly right :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Reply to ,
@powertool
Did you use the stock springs that it came with or did you find some better ones?

The stock springs work well , nice comfortable ride , I'd give it a 10 ...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've said it before and I'll say it again....... I've spent many years in many saddles and this one is the most comfortable ever and the best choice on a beach cruiser:

http://www.amazon.com/CLOUD-9-49452-Contour-Cruiser-Gel/dp/B0010VZGIO

Personally I hate gel saddles but you can't even tell that this Cloud 9 contour comfort saddle has any gel of any kind in it......it's beyond comfortable.

My other favorite bike seat s the Selle Italia carbon fiber hard shell "Flite" with titanium rails......it weighs as much as your fingernails, seriously.

dnut

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
My bike is an old school style chopper, with a banana seat & highback sissy bar. Because of its looks & the battery box custom made to fit under the seat, I don't want to change it, it all adds to the visual impact & "Charm". It looks badass! Unfortunately, "Badass" is appropriate; On a rigid frame at 30+ MPH, speedbumps & potholes will make you cry. I'm considering modding a front suspension fork to use as sissybar mounts, with a RocShox seatpost before I end up with hemoraging hemaroids or spinal injuries! I have a neighbor with such a seatpost, his bike rides very smooth!

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I am considering a rig not unlike SuperDaves, though I am looking into using a sprung seat post, and sprung sissy bar.
no idea how well it will work

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am considering a rig not unlike SuperDaves, though I am looking into using a sprung seat post, and sprung sissy bar.
no idea how well it will work
Automotive valve springs work well if you're considering making your own suspension seat parts. Check with a local engine rebuilder. They usually discard old valve springs and they'll probably give you all you can use.

Tom

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
I use a Brooks B67. I find it ideal for my cruiser.
It is designed for upright riding.
There are many many Brooks to choose from but this one looks and feels great.
The wide seating area and springs are comfortable.
Leather saddles, once broken in, conform to your sitbones.
Also you will avoid "swamp-butt" that you may experience with a vinyl saddle.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
See Im really interested in the B33, Im not a heavy guy or anything, but I really like the look for a motorcycle esque ride. I also like the B190 but I dont think the rear seat on my bike will allow for the further springieness. Kinda like the B33 more anyhow.
Is it possible to be too sprung?

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
I love the look of both of those saddles.
Depending on your build and your wallet, excellent choices.

I pick the B67 for a couple reasons.
First, cost. I have a limited budget like a lot of other builders.
Even with my shop discount, Brooks are expensive investment.
My other reason for selecting the B67 is it's simple design.
I love the look of the saddle on my cruiser.

Use the Proofride sold by Brooks and your saddle will last a lifetime.
Don't over tension the nose bolt as it only needs an 1/8th turn every once in a while.
I still am not sure why my nose bolt cracked.
I sent it to a guy in NOLA and he fixed it for a reasonable cost.
Yeah, a bike shop employee sent out his seat to get fixed.
However, the guy has the skills and knowledge to do the job right.
There is another place on the East coast, but would have cost 2x what I paid.

my build thread below shows my ride as it exists today, see below link.