Problem mounting ur gas tanks to thicker frames?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Any of u guys have a gas tank that wouldnt fit on the frame properly cuz the studs are too narrown for ur bike frame? i had to use red duck tape and taped mine twice around lol looks ghetto but it is secured. would like to ditch the duct tape for a cleaner look besides all the wiring I got goin on.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Make a sandwich.

Using .25" x 1.5" aluminum plate, cut a 4" section and drill holes for the tank's studs. Bolt tank onto plate. Place tank onto thick frame's top tube. Cut another 4" section and place under thick top tube. Drill holes and bolt the two plates together. If tank's studs are too long, trim to fit.

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
I had that problem. The studs of the gas tank did not reach to underneath the top tube of the bicycle. This is what I did:

I bought a flat Simpson Tie framing connector plate. You can go to Lowes/Home Depot and get one for $1 or $2 dollars. There are lots of framing connector plates but I bought the one that is just a flat piece of metal. I cut thin strips of the plate with a hack saw. I sandwiched three together on each side. I drilled holes and then bolted the gas tank the plates, but used some inner tube tire to between the tank and the plates as spacers, but it also helped to cushion the tank. then I drilled holes in the middle of the plates and used the connectors that came with the kit to screw the tank/plate combo to the bike. it looks ugly but it keeps the tank on securely and I didn't have to drill into the frame of the bike.

Attachments

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
wow, that is a thick top tube. maybe you should get a flat back rack that clamps onto the seat tube and make a mount to drill/connect the tank to it. the tank would be in the back then though

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
thats a good idea but with mine, the studs dont go around the bar lol
The sandwich would still work.

I'm installing a universal engine mounting plate in my bike's triangle. The studs on the plate don't go around my bar either, so I'm also making a sandwich.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
In this case I usually convert the oversized top tube to a gas tank itself......a much cleaner look as the peanut tank that comes with the kits looks ghetto and like some sort of after thought stuck on....... like a pimple on a pumpkin. :D

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
In this case I usually convert the oversized top tube to a gas tank itself......a much cleaner look as the peanut tank that comes with the kits looks ghetto and like some sort of after thought stuck on....... like a pimple on a pumpkin. :D
Scotto where do you buy the gas cap and the male part that it screws onto? I want to use my top tube as a gas tank but I need the fittings.