Davenport show...

GoldenMotor.com

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I'm only using a 212cc motor but I want more than just bicycle tires and can't justify spending almost $300 on simplex tires, not to mention the ones I really like are >$200.00 each. I ordered the rims for $75.00 each along with these tires in 21 x 3...

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244-motorcycle-tire?WT.mc_id=2576240&WT.srch=1

From what I've found on the internet the overall diameter should be between 27" and 28", my plan is to get the tires mounted and build the bike proportionate to them so it will still look good. The tires have a 4 ply sidewall, are dot approved, and only cost $28.00 each. Hopefully it will work out well.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
It's here again! I'll be going later this morning and tomorrow.

Should be a lot of the Cannonballer's bikes there this year, my camera batteries are charging-

And I can't wait!

-Kirk

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Based on your earlier observation I do think they are modern 21” wheels & tires.

With so many tire options available it’s really hard to say what the exact actual od is from a photo, but it is likely to be in the 26” range.

Yes old size vs. new size is confusing.

If that same bike is there again this year I'll bring a tape!

-Kirk
Don't forget haha, I can't wait to see pictures.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Another great show yesterday!

But this morning storms threatened and most were already packed up by the time the rain started around 10:00.

With my bike running this year it was very well received, that sure was a lot of fun and I got to meet gobs of interesting people through it.

My goal was to also have my new Robert Thumper project done for the show, but didn’t quite get it. I am really close now and will update that thread very soon.

I saw what I believe was member Rebuilder’s Yamaha powered Flying Merkel drive by a couple of times, but it was to quick to have a chance to introduce myself or even get photo’s.

Curtis, I did take a few close up shots of Bicycle Bill’s 2 belt 2 speed for you...

JT Sorrels, I had a tape in my pocket, but did not see that bike....

Stromberg, I don’t know what the movie was, I’m afraid I missed it...

My camera is old and sometimes the auto focus is a little whack, so some of the photos turned out blurred, but I did take a lot this year!

http://imgur.com/a/JP0Li#70

The highlight of the show for me was having a nice long conversation with Joe Gardella about his amazing 1914 Harley Twin and his experiences on the 2010 Motorcycle Cannonball (Rider #12).

He’ll be taking the same bike in a week on the next CB ride, I plan on driving over to Anamosa the night they spent there- More photo’s!

-Kirk

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for uploading all theses photos, it looks like it was a great time. I was surprised to see all the motorized bicycles there. I'm kinda glad I wasn't there I probably would have spent my life savings on some "pile of junk" that didn't run.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Ha, That would be easy to do!

Seems the going rate for a non restored early bike is $30K. 10 or 15 more if its a Harley or very early Indian.

However look at the photo the logo-less mid-teens Indian Powerplus with two guys kneeling beside it...

The asking price was just $20K and those two fellows were in the middle of a serious negotiation while I took that photo.

Yes there were a lot of motored bikes there this year, more than I’ve ever seen.

I took photos of most of the more “customized” ones I saw thinking they might belong to members here...?

-Kirk

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Definitely a old Wisconsin “A” block with the blades ground off the flywheel.

I would of liked to have talked to the owner and asked if it had any overheating issues!

-Kirk

Rebuilder

Jun 25, 2012
Minneapolis
Hey Mr B. Wish we could have had a chat. That was a great show. It was my first time there and I'll definitely be back next year with a few bikes to sell..... www.BTRbuilder.com

I'll post Davenport pics when I get them loaded.

As for the tires. I went through all of this when building my bike. All bicycle tires even today measured by the OD. 26" means 26"+- OD. All motorcycle are measured by the rim size. 21" rims and my tire OD is 28ish. You can go with Coker replica rims and tires which are identical to the original BTR's and are measured like bicycle tires so 28" is the OD. The big difference between a modern 28" OD and an original BTR 28" OD is that the BTR tire has a smaller sidewall and a bigger rim. The safety difference is the original BTR rims are called clincher rims and if the tire goes flat they can fall off the rim. Modern tires will stay on the rim. It's basically just a bicycle vs. motorcycle thing and since old motorcycles are basically bicycles it can get a little confusing. The biggest bummer is modern tires don't come in white.

Here's mine with (2) 21" XT500 front rims and 28" OD trials tires.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, thanks for sharing the great photos. Getting down there this year was not to be, but maybe next year. It would be great fun riding around to look at bikes, show off a little and meet people. Only problem is I'm not real fond of crowds, but it looks like things are pretty spread out, so that helps.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! Thanks for posting and the pictures I saved them and I will be setting up a electric motor and see if I can get a setup working. Just love the home made DIY stuff,and if I run my old Clinton it will need some help in the gearing department.........Curt

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I saw the last photo with the Villiers, pretty cool.

Ive had slow internet lately so havent seen all the pics yet. But i did just notice that really long mb parked next to yours. Its the bike with the cool looking shifter and double primary belts. It appears it can only tension one belt at a time, and they are different sized jackshaft primary pulleys. If thats correct is that a 2 speed belt drive setup? Very cool, i never thought of doing that.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Yes, That's Bicycle Bill's creation, shifter forward tensions one of the belts, to the back tightens the other, center is neutral- All through a linked rocker arm with idler pulleys.

-Kirk

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
GOOD EYE HARRY.
I to spoted it and have been asking questions,keep looking and threr is some closeups of it in the show pictures Mr.B took. I am thinking about useing skateboard wheel for idler's. Like I said I am going to setup a electric motor and and see if I can get one working this winter.............Curt

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, That's Bicycle Bill's creation, shifter forward tensions one of the belts, to the back tightens the other, center is neutral- All through a linked rocker arm with idler pulleys.

-Kirk
Thats brilliant!!!!! I have never seen that done before, what a cool idea. Is it Bills own idea or is it borrowed from vintage motorcycles? I cant recall ever seeing anything like that. I really like Bills bike too.

How does the twin belt setup perform? I wonder if a setup like that would benefit ssmall engines like my Villiers engines i have? Since they arent overly powerful a 2 speed setup could be helpful i would think.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
The idea grew from a passing conversation we were having about transmissions, a almost forgotten idea amongst several. But later that night it seemed like the stand out concept and I made this little sketch for him.

He then came up with the idea of the rocker arm.

Looking at the photos it would be real easy to simply copy what he has done, but it did take him quite a lot of trail & error to get it to work!- There were a couple rocker arms & shifter lever tabs made before he got all of the travel aspects right.

Note: The idler pulley above the primary drive pulley is important to help the belts grab- Hard learned lesson on his part!

Having said all that it’s such a obvious idea I suspect that someone must have already done it sometime in the last 175 years...

Performance?

His current engine is a modified Briggs 3.5HP- Possibly = to 5HP:confused:.

Anyway he can do low 50’s mph or climb a goodly hill!

-Kirk

Attachments