electric and gas motor hybrid?

GoldenMotor.com

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
Anybody try installing an electric motor on the front wheel and a gas engine for the back wheel and use both engines at the same time? In theory how do you think this would work? I don't think this would increase top speed but it would probably increase power, right? Plus I could charge the battery while using the gas engine right :-/

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
There are a a few guys trying what you are, Some are using the HT to alternator to power the electric motors. Some very cool stuff. Have a click around, gl.

hybrid power - Google Search

ps, the google searches link directly back to this site :) I used the search at the top of the page to find these for you.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just use bike gears with a Jackshaft is all I can say.

Trying to add a second drive for some low end torque just sounds silly to me with other easy much less costly options available.

Just my opinion is all. I tend to give them freely. Take 'em or leave 'em ;-}

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
Double drivetrains means a lot of extra weight. At some point, the weight will reduce performance so you are no longer gaining performance, but losing it.

What benefit do you see in dual power?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

But to each his own :)

You could start out on electric, then kick over to gas, or crank them both to smoke that 'spandexer' who's been trying to keep up. :)

My opinions are just that, too, handle with care. Heh heh.

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
Oh, I just thought it would be fun to have a duel power bicycle, actually a tri powered bike if you count pedal power :) It's just ridiculous to ad an engine to a bicycle anyway, so I figured while I was being ridiculous, I might as well di it right and go all the way into the land of ridiculouslessness with a hybrid :-/

Also, I don't want my project bike to be over just because I got it running smoothly with the gas motor.