rear suspension #2

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
To many changes? Do and redo creates a lot of hacking. Glad you are going back to Handa. I have a G100 and was looking at the difference, the GX100 is so much more potent looking. Sure like what you are doing though, should make for nice ride........Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey thx curt. The bike looked good, started adding comfort and... Hey that GX is neat. It has a mean exhaust note! I did not know OHC small engines existed. My nexus 3 speed got a striped tread on the changer the goes on the axle, soo, something happened to strip the axle tread I'm gonna see 'if' the axle will thread through to give me more good tread....ill be back with good news or.....

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well...leave it to beaver, I did not put the slotted axle keeper on the left side Which allowed the axle to turn, thuss loosening the right side nut and allowing the frame to mess the threads. So a washer between frame and inside, gives me fresh threads. Little things can ruin a day.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, back to the white bike. Putting the G100 in was not as torky as the Briggs. So I have this 3.5 with no mag. So I happen to pull in the Safeway recycle yard and there is a lady with a ' yard machine' mower. It's a 4.5 vertical. I give her 5$ and bring it home, tear it down, alum. flywheel,mag. Compare rotations, cam timing, piston size, umm, same, to me anyway so I put the fly on, mag on, bolt it down, oh yeah, I took my pz19 and put on her too. Vaaaroom! So put it on the bike, with my kinda old time leever clutch. The engine crank has a stubby output,so I could only put a pully on. Besides not having a 3/4 clutch. Runs nice. Got the nexus 3 speed working again.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Looking good! Love the manual clutch. I'm jealous a bit of your probably very cushy ride, haha! I see you're using the exhaust threads with the nut; I just wanna say that making a real header with 7/8" ID pipe will do great things for you. Something I never got around to doing though, since my Briggs blew up, is I was gonna helicoil the exhaust port threads for 1/4-20. On my block there was just barely enough room. I had stripped the threads out on at least one bolt.

That bike looks good in white.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
JUST PLAN AWESOME!
Looking at your clutch and there is a couple bolt hole on the engine, behind the pulley. You should put a couple belt guides there to hold the belt inforum or round, so when you disengage the clutch it will hold the belt to forum and will work much better. Won't be apt to grab the pulley...................Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah 01, with a real shock it would be sooo much better. I did want to make an exhaust header. But..the bolt holes, as you know are so close. I need a tig welder to make it. I sure she'd breathe mucho better. White is nice. The builder needs to re paint it, now that he's done scratch her up.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey curt, I know what you mean about grab the pulley. It takes practice to take off smooth. I'm not sure what a belt guide does. I'll check out the link, and study what they do. Notice the ole man bars(ape hangers) I'd like to run flat track style...but the hands go numb leanin down.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The belt guide prevents the belt from grabbing when you have it disengaged, because the belt wants to return to a circle lar shape. Actually if you make a plate for the top two holes of the four around the crankshaft, with one belt guide pin sticking out approx 1.5" back from the crank centerline then it will be sufficient.

Yep, I've tried just about every transmission on my first bike... Lol!

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Looking good! Love the manual clutch. I'm jealous a bit of your probably very cushy ride, haha! I see you're using the exhaust threads with the nut; I just wanna say that making a real header with 7/8" ID pipe will do great things for you. Something I never got around to doing though, since my Briggs blew up, is I was gonna helicoil the exhaust port threads for 1/4-20. On my block there was just barely enough room. I had stripped the threads out on at least one bolt.

That bike looks good in white.
For the situation I wanted to use Heli Coil, but not enough material I did with just a bolt and nut through ruined threaded hole. Not always is this possible if there is not a threaded through hole where a nut can be opposite side. In the case of a few of the crankcase cover bolts on my Briggs I did this and it looks a little funny, but holds perfect. The used of Alumaweld or whatever with a torch maybe could add material and then re-thread, but I would need practice first with a hot enough torch I do not have yet for that stuff.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Many years ago 1905 i think there was a bike built just like that, of cores antique. But the same principle, same style fork. With a pivot back there you need chain pensioners, like this one has....KOOL.............Curt