Worksman Drop Loop Frame BTR

GoldenMotor.com

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Hey Pat,
The BTR is being built by Dan (Taylor Cycles, High Desert) and the process has started but hasn't taken shape. Wheels are on their way, Morini 5N is ready to install, many parts ready and I have been ordering specific items that I'd prefer are better quality and more period correct (petcock, levers, cables, early head/taillight (I know, BTR's didnt typically have lights but its gonna be a hybrid w half fenders too) cloth wiring, etc)
My BTR is being built at the same time my friend is having his built (same builder) and although we both have Morini motors, the mounts are different. My friend bought the latest "6" while I pulled mine from a Lem 50.
Dan is currently working on the mounts and it is tricky. He has experience with other motors but this is his first go around with the Morini.
He has expressed concern about the crank and pipe fit. I am trying to have him wrap the pipe along the down tube and under the crankset if possible. If its not, I like the way your pipe (above pic) sits above the chain horizontally.
Dan machs up the motor in the drop loop where your pipe sits.
Anyway, thanks for the emails and price list, I want your complete bars.
Also, Dan is finishing up on prior builds so it's a little slow going but should pick up over the next couple of days.
Kris
As soon as I get pic's I will post them.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
If you want a good one, you choose Morini but geez is it UGLY! The china motors can be dressed up better but they are weak and junky
Calling a Morini ugly? Well thems fightin' words! No matter how you dress a China motor, it's still a China motor.

In the end, it's all a matter of tradeoffs.

For the money, a China motor is an amazing value. You will dump additional money into the build to better engineer some of the shortcomings, but the smiles per dollar still make this the best bargain. This is what most of us start with, I still have my China powered bike. Compared to a Morini, the motor looks like a toy.

A Morini motor is a marvel of simplicity. Good power, super quality, and you just gotta love the kickstarter, it makes it feel like a motorcycle. But with a Morini, everything must be engineered, there is no 'kit' for this one. The build ends up being all about the pipe and the mounts. The electronics are super easy. It takes awhile to get everything right, but once you finish the build, you will never call the motor 'ugly'. I love my Morini build. Deep pockets required though. There are a few builders now that offer turn-key builds or kits, they're not cheap, but they're properly engineered.

As for a proper 'vintage' build, the Whizzer motor is the ticket. It just looks the part. I think the Whizzer is actually easier than a Morini, there are bolt-on mounts that fit a wide range of frames. The stock exhaust will fit most builds and looks cool. I didn't think the Whizzers could compete with a Morini, but after running with some high-end Whizzer builds, these bikes can be extremely fast -every bit as fast as my S6S. Motors are pricey, but craigslist occasionally has some deals, and if you want a boardie with true vintage roots, then look no further. Pat's WZ's are one of the best re-creations of a true boardie, they look good in pictures but in person, these are really amazing builds.

My next build will be a Whizzer powered cruiser based on one of Pat's frames, though I am trying to convince him to go with a 5" stretch this time.

Last edited:

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Easy Itchybird, I didnt mean to ruffle your feathers, we're on the same side! :) I officially apologize for calling the Morini "ugly". Friends?
Seriously, your advice is well-taken. I think I am gonna go the Whizzer route next. If you look up the specs on the internet it says the 5NE is 2hp. But if I can get at least 4hp out of one it seems like a no brainer.
What do you experienced builders think about mounting the Whizzer at a different angle to where the head is at a right angle (vertical) rather than at a 15+/- degree slant? I'm sure there's a reason for it being slanted but since I suffer from stupidiocy, I dont know the answer.
Thank you for the input here, I really appreciate it,
Kris

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Kris,

Yep friends, no problems there... you're building a Morini powered bike so you must be an OK guy.

I agree that if you're building a vintage bike, the Morini looks a bit modern. But it's a real motor, and it's much bigger than a China motor, so it has a substantial feel to it, even if not vintage correct.

I have three motor bikes, a China motored Schwinn, a Morini powered Sportsman, and a late model Whizzer. The HP rating is murky at best.

As for the mounting angle, the China motor is pretty forgiving. It gets it's oil from the fuel you feed it.

The Morini has a wet clutch and it has a sight plug that tells you when it's full. The proper mounting angle has quite a rake to it, we mounted ours per the manufacturer spec, and when at the correct angle, the 'S6S' on the side cover is level. And once there, you get a proper indication of the oil level.

The Whizzer is a four banger and it has oil in the crankcase. Once again, the angle is more critical. The cover on the right side is ribbed, and at the proper tilt, the ribs are more or less level. And like the Morini the motor has a good tilt to it.

If you think about it, a nice tilt puts more surface area of the cylinder head into the airflow -keeps the hot spot cooler. And if you run stock intake, it puts the carbs at the proper angle as well.

Last edited:

LOSTMTNCABIN

Aug 11, 2012
PITTSBURGH, PA
Hello eveyone,

I have been read several post since joining a short time ago. I worked on sportsters for a few years now(more than I care to count) and need a change since my 89 XL is the way I like it. I have always liked the look of the early bikes and seeing the tributes amazes me. What I am trying to do is find what you may call a rolling chassis. I dont have the welding equipment but can do mechanical work. Is there anyony who sells an assembly (wheels included)?

Also what would be the best engine setup for me living in western PA where hills are present more than level

Thanks

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hello eveyone,

I have been read several post since joining a short time ago. I worked on sportsters for a few years now(more than I care to count) and need a change since my 89 XL is the way I like it. I have always liked the look of the early bikes and seeing the tributes amazes me. What I am trying to do is find what you may call a rolling chassis. I dont have the welding equipment but can do mechanical work. Is there anyone who sells an assembly (wheels included)?

Also what would be the best engine setup for me living in western PA where hills are present more than level

Thanks
LOSTMTNCABIN, please see this post there are several builders you could contact for a price quote for a complete rolling chassis.

Most of these builders are swamped with orders so be patient and if you have hill's maybe a 212cc is something to consider.

Here's the Link to BTR frame builders below:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19862

Please read thru the posts and you'll find the builders contact info and see their style BTR tributes, some have Harley style rectangular gas tanks some can produce the Cyclone, Indian, style Torpedo / Cylinder gas tanks.

C.H.

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
You have many choices. You will need to know what motor you are going with, for mounts. If you want the best, call Dan! (661-341-0192. His work is the best looking at the best price. A roller with a tank, tool box, correct forks and Worksman wheels with good tires should be around 2500.
You can get a cheap roller if you are going to use a china motor....1800.
Trust me, you will end up getting the one with more horsepower and looking more authentic so do it right the first time!

I can send you pics of what you'd get (from Taylar Cycles) for your money if you send me your email. He's building me one right now.

davethepolesitter

Nov 13, 2012
Spring Hill, FLA
.flg.
ARE THESE STILL BEING MADE???

Post is a year and a 1/2 old....
May be Interested in an INDIAN style.
Please let me know.
posted ~ 13 NOVEMBER 2012
Thanks Guys.

Sincerely,
.............. H. David Werder ~ HD the Flag-pole-sitter
re-registered...couldn't remember old name & password

Sportscarpat,

Silverbear,

Thanks for your reply's SportscarPat & Silverbear!

And if I may say so yes Pat you are one of the talented Artist's / Builder's who I hoped would post something positive to this thread, regarding period correct looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer's with the two different style gas tanks & tool boxes.

So there you have it folks one very talented Artist /Builder willing to place a bid on building up Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer's Awesome Pat!

Now we need 5-person's interested in putting their money where their text / post is.

Question #1
If you are interested in bidding on producing these period correct looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer's please post your interest here!

Question #2
If you'd like to purchase one of these period correct looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer's, please post your interest here!

Show your interest for a period correct looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer.

Post your answer's and let's make this a reality.

One builder has responded with a bid and of charge $1800 plus shipping USA only for the bike of your choice with your choice of the following power option's,
Electric motor front hub,
Piston Powered 2-stroke Engine Kit motor,
Human Powered Pedal only.

This first bidder builder also offer's a complete bike without the 2-stroke motor & charges $900 for tank, frame and wheels. Again this builder is offering a complete bike like the Indian pictured below without the 2-stroke motor! The wheels are Worksman gripper rims with 12-gauge spokes.

This first bidder offers your choice of Cyclone, Indian, Harley-Davidson, Excelsior-Henderson period correct looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer, with the following power options Electric motor front hub , 2-Stroke Engine Kit for $1800.00 plus shipping.

This pedal only Period Correct Looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Indian is $900.00 + shipping

This 2-stroke powered period correct looking Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Indian Board Track Racer is $1800.00 + shipping

These builds above are built with the Stock Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser, then modified by extending the top two horizontal bars, and then removing straight down tube, and then replacing it with a Drop Loop down tube, thereby giving a period correct look to the bike.

This first bidder also offers a Tribute Build in the Style of a 1909 Harley-Davidson Road Racer with your choice of the following power options Electric motor front hub , 2-Stroke Engine Kit for $1800.00 + shipping pictured below.
This build use's the Stock Worksman Tall Cruiser, and is then modified by extending the top two horizontal bars, and then removing straight down tube, and then replacing it with a Drop Loop down tube, thereby giving a period correct look to the bike.

This Worksman Modified Drop Loop Frame Tribute Cyclone has a Faux ( Non-Functional ) V-Twin motor, and is Human Pedal Powered only, this style sell's for $1800.00 + shipping

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
.flg.
ARE THESE STILL BEING MADE???

Post is a year and a 1/2 old....
May be Interested in an INDIAN style.
Please let me know.
posted ~ 13 NOVEMBER 2012
Thanks Guys.

Sincerely,
.............. H. David Werder ~ HD the Flag-pole-sitter
re-registered...couldn't remember old name & password

Yes here's a link to Custom BTR builders thread the best of the best just click on the Link below:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19862

Just take your time to read through this thread there is alot of info to digest, if you see a builder with the style you like PM them or contact them directly.

C.H.

johndchurch

Dec 30, 2012
Savannah Ga
I am a big Worksman fan . I had one in Radford U in 84 and a few more over my years in Va beach. They are super heavy duty. Does anybody make a 4 stroke 49cc twin V 90 degree engine that is available on a commercial basis usflgusflg to fit the "drop loop worksman frame yet ? I have an old school collection of lathes,mills and much more and am willing to invest in Hass CNC mills and lathes if I can get the right team (person) that wants to produce this engine on a massive basis in America .Please let me know if interested in this project .John D, new member, [email protected]

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I am a big Worksman fan . I had one in Radford U in 84 and a few more over my years in Va beach. They are super heavy duty. Does anybody make a 4 stroke 49cc twin V 90 degree engine that is available on a commercial basis to fit the "drop loop worksman frame yet ? I have an old school collection of lathes,mills and much more and am willing to invest in Hass CNC mills and lathes if I can get the right team (person) that wants to produce this engine on a massive basis in America .Please let me know if interested in this project .John D, new member, [email protected]
John, thank you very much for your interest in the Tribute Board Tracker & Vintage Style motor bicycle.

Especially John, for your offer to produce or co-produce a mini 4 stroke 49 cc V-Twin 90' degree engine.

I'm surprised no has taken you up on the offer to produce 4 stroke 90-degree 49cc mini v-twin engine.

These engines would sellout instantly, and start a new motorized bicycling passion for all ages.

I'll keep my hope up that someone comes forward, to help get these engines produced.

Tom Seiber's engines are phenomenal, however his $7,000.00 dollar price per engine to produce them put them financially out of reach for most of us.

Here's the mini Cyclone engine pic, with Dick Winger Owner holding it in picture below.

The only other person to have produce this type of engine is a guy well see my attached post from the thread 1/2 Scale Real Board Track Racer V Twin Engine:

Here's the Link:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29609

Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Crazy Horse

Re: 1/2 Scale Real BTR Single & V-Twin Engines
Update, I finally heard back from Tom Sieber, yes he actually called me!

He has the complete fully functional mini half scale 1915 Indian V-Twin engines available!

This engines are not for the average builder, in other words they are very expensive!!!!

However, there might be 1 or 2 members / custom builders here in the forum who have the skills to maybe build Tom Sieber a custom BTR frame in exchange for an engine, or maybe a joint venture!

Anyone have any idea's as to who could build this machinist a frame for his half scale 1915 engine!

C.H.

Here's Dick Winger holding one of Tom Siebers reproduction half scale Cyclone engines below.

Wanna see more pictures of these engines with Dick Winger & Machinist Tom Sieber click on link below:
Crazyhorse Vintage Board Track Racers pictures by ICrazyhorse - Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
Ok, I couldn't help myself so I just had to find Tom Sieber, and that is what I did, am waiting and hoping he'll return my call to him.

Peace C.H.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Just a thought:
I know they make twin-cylinder 49 cc two-stroke model aircraft engines -
> http://www.goodluckbuy.com/images/detailed_images/sku_88017_1.jpg

Here's the thing though, I've only ever seen them in boxer configuration, never in V configuration. But I have wondered if anyone's thought of mating a little 49 cc boxer engine (with a custom-made adapter) to, say, the shaft and pinion of an old outboard motor, making something like a mini BMW-type bike. I'd bet putting it on a stretch frame would give you room to ride without roasting your ankles. Thoughts?