Misc Clutch question

GoldenMotor.com

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
Are the clutches on these bikes generally hard to pull in? mine is tight enough that it feels like i need to use my left hand about 69 times a day to pull it in with no issues. My hand actually starts to cramp after about 20 minutes of going through stop lights. Is this normal or is there a way i can loosen this up a bit?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have the small spring installed, the one that the instructions tell you to put between the end of the clutch cable and the actuating arm, remove it and throw it away.

There is an easy modification you can do if you have the right tools. The bucking bar and the clutch actuator cam come from the factory very rough. This is a high stress contact surface. You can sand the end of the bucking bar and the contacting surface of the cam with a Dremel sanding disc then polish those areas so they're as smooth as you can get them. This will decrease clutch pull force noticably.

Some will suggest a pully arrangement for the clutch cable. I've never tried one but I have routed the cable through a tubular 'noodle' to aim the cable at the arm.
better than the kit parts.

Lubrication is also important. Lube the clutch cable inside the sheath using either oil or grease. I prefer oil because it easily coats the cable through its full length. Proper lubrication of the bucking bar, ball bearing and the cam iside the sprocket cover is also necessary to reduce clutch pull force.

You'll also want to lubricate the cable barrel inside the handlebar lever. Lube everything that moves or makes metal to metal contact.

Hope these suggestions help.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree... ditch the little spring if you got it installed... also the cable end that's under the carb is a major contributor to the rough sticky feel... I'm one of the ones who made a pulley roller and it smoothed out the clutch considerably, but others have used cable noodles to point the cable right at the clutch arm or a new bracket that points the cable end toward the arm, there are a few ways to do it and they all work reducing pull effort as well as drastically improving smoothness...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Follow 2Doors tips first.

If all that fails to help, there is a way to lighten the clutch pull by backing off the clutch spring tension....and I DON'T mean adjusting the 'flower nut'!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I wouldn't mess with the actual spring tension as it can cause clutch slip, and if you have Any performance upgrades or plan to upgrade, if anything, you will need to increase the tension at the main spring.

Pull effort can be reduced even with the main spring set as tight as possible by doing a few simple geometry changes... one of the easiest is to ditch the short straight clutch arm and install the longer bent arm, this puts more leverage at the clutch cam which in turn makes the pull lighter at the lever. If the pull is still too hard, there are other types of levers that'll work.

I agree to stick with the basics first, then if that doesn't help enough, there are other ways, but loosening the main spring should be avoided

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Also if you have the cable zip tied or looped it'll cause a lot more friction if too tight. My buddies was like a fricken work out when it turned out he had a couple zip ties too tight on it and I had too much clutch cable and decided to loop it and that caused a lot of friction problems making it hard as well.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I agree to stick with the basics first, then if that doesn't help enough, there are other ways, but loosening the main spring should be avoided
Like I said, follow 2Doors tips' THEN.....

Sometimes, these kits come with the tension set VERY tight. Adjusting the tension is relatively simple and doesn't require buy new clutch arms.

It will only cause slipping if you loosen it too much.

BTW, when the tension is set ad tight as it will go, it's going to be hard to pull no matter what else you do- try it once.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Some 'kit' handlebar clutch levers are short and that too will increase the force needed to disengage the clutch. The longer that lever the more 'leverage' you'll have. Look for a motorcycle sized clutch lever, preferably one with a lock button.
The button is good to have but not absolutely necessary. Motorcycles don't have them...but you never have to pedal a motorcycle :)

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All the clutch lock buttons always seem to break or fall out.
Drill out the shaft where the groove for the snap ring goes and install a 1/16" cotter pin. The button will never fall out again.
While you're at it put a 3/32" rubber 'O' ring between the cotter pin, washer and the clutch lever and stop that annoying 'click' sound when you release the lock button.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The levers sold by mzmiami are the longer type with locks on them, its the one sold as the heavy duty lever. This will give more leverage and if still too tough then there is the longer clutch arms for the clutch case. You can back off the tension on the main spring but don't come crying to me when the clutch slips or wearsnoit prematurely. These are set the way they aerie for a reason. You can set the main spring tighter to prevent or eliminate slipping then change the geometry tonget a light pull if needed.
Like ive said before, there are other ways to make the clutch easier and smoother, but loosening up the main spring is just begging for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator: