what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
well... took my bike out on the sled trail today... gotta say, bout the hardest riding i've done in a long time... squirelly as a bastard... def gotta get a ski set up for the front... something i can just swap out when i get to a trail head... also gotta find some good jugs to use for wind guards for my hands... only put about 3.5 miles or so but at 19 degrees to start with, had to jump off the trail and head home cause my fingers were hurting to the point i could barely pull my brake and clutch levers... other than that was a good time... bout 20mph in the track of a snow machine...

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
i've got some decent snow boarding gloves, but no budget for some good sled gloves... might be better if i actually had hand warmers to stuff in the glove pockets, but alas... i am left wanting... soon though, i'll be all set...

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
never underestimate the power of layers, a pair of those stretchy cotton gloves they sell in dollar stores under a better pair will add some R-value.
try to get leather or vinyl exterior gloves to cut wind.
something i learned to be true about socks at least is that one expensive pair will never be as good as two or three layers of inexpensive ones.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice gloves... I got a set similar to those from Cycle Gear a few years back... leather to keep the wind out and oversized so I can wear cotton undergloves. That pair is also extra nice because none of the seams face the wind and no air gets in... most gloves I've bought before I've had to tape the seams with electrical tape to keep All the wind out.
I also prefer the gauntlet type gloves like in the pic because they work wonders for keeping the wind from sneaking up your sleeves at 70 mph and below 30 degrees outside...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Too busy to mess with the bike today and took a nap this morning before opening up shop so I didn't even get to make my usual taco run... But I did fire it up earlier when things slowed down and filled the shop with 2 stroke smoke again... :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
i've got some decent snow boarding gloves, but no budget for some good sled gloves... might be better if i actually had hand warmers to stuff in the glove pockets, but alas... i am left wanting... soon though, i'll be all set...
Seen folks take plastic soda bottles and make wind guards. Can tape em on JFN (just for now)

Keeping the wind off helps big time and this method is almost free. dunno, just a thought

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
If it gets to 40 degrees, THIS old SOB is stayin in the M.F'n. house. Call me old and weak if'n ya want. Those days of riding in a blizzard are behind me. I aint got NOWHERE I gotta be THAT bad.
fatdaddy.usflg

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I think trail riding might be OK about now, drying out some from rain in CA.

Temp went up 10F so today at 60F and was nice.

I got to putting some of bike back after solving engine problem with valves gap set now to spec and proper W30 engine oil, new condenser and points, plug, it is ready.

I got a new pulley for a belt that was wearing out. I also noticed a cover from my DIY design had been pressing and vibrating where it put a shallow wear spot about the size of a finger nail maybe 16th". I will use shim washers and be sure it does not continue as it is the crankcase cover that the white metal (soft) I saw the spot.

The cover is definitely needed though as a 10 inch diameter spoke pulley that turns from 700 to 1200 rpm is other wise near my leg and I won't be allowing that!

MT

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
changed my rear tire to a 1.95 knobby to get rid of my chain rub issue took it for a cruise froze my butt off cleaned it up a bit tightned everything up and put her back locked up next to my porch still needs new clutch pads new exhuast pipe front brakes and i may even put rear cantilever brakes on it

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
went with the 3L soda bottle idea yesterday... was all of 4F when i left the house at bout 3pm... wind gusts between 25-30mph... made the 5 mile trip over to home depot for a job interview, and could still feel my fingers when i got there!
was supposed to take a 26m road trip (one way) today, but when it was still only 0F at noon, i decided i'd wait till tomorrow when it's supposed to be at least in the 20's... (snow showers)

brnot