Flying Horse 5G vs. Ghost Racer 7G

GoldenMotor.com

John Sheridan

Oct 30, 2014
Metairie, La.
I am going to buy one of these kits. The Flying Horse 5G will cost me $349.95.

The Ghost Racer 7G will cost me $249.00 + I will need to buy a bottom bracket conversion kit separately it will cost me $10.00, for a total of $284.00. That only a difference $65.95

So is one better than the other?

And thank you all for your help.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What the heck is a Flying Horse 5G?
At $350 it sounds like a Grubee 4G or maybe an old Stage III...

For Direct Drive:

The 4G T-belt knock off $250 7G's have their flaws but actually seem to work pretty well if you get them installed right.

With the kit mount this is a real female dog but it can be made to work.
Tip: Get your frame mounts in place then take the U plate off and mount the engine to it and put it back on as it's a royal pain to get to the engine mount bolts once on.

A Jackshaft shift kit fixes most flaws as it has it's own mount plate base and BB parts, but for a big easy 29" single speed beach cruiser it works fine.

I have taken a real shining to these Macargi 29" Fatal Love single speed beach cruisers.
Everything fits in clean and nice and once you get him rolling he rolls at a good clip even with just 49cc.

Note I add front and rear C brakes to them because no MB should only have 1.
This has 3 independent brakes ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Any pictures of inside the 5G?

Even the entire kit pictures of everything don't show it let alone what kind it is or any ratios!

The closest thing I could find with even a hint as to what is inside the 5G was from the link to buy a replacement on BikeBerry
http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/4-stroke-parts/4-stroke-transmission.html

---
(edited Q&A text from above link)

Q: Does this fit the Hunsang 49cc?
A: The 4-stroke transmissions that we carry will work with our most current models of the 4-stroke motor.
However older models of the Hua Sheng motors are not always compatible with the current model transmission.
Currently our transmission are coming with a:
10 tooth drive sprocket, with a dual chain in the transmission.

Q: can you adjust the tension of the inside chain?
A: Unfortunately, you are not able to adjust the chain tension on the inside. .
---

I think I seen one of these a few years back when I was first starting, a repair for an even older bike.
Dual sprockets at each end and 2 thin chains with an oil bath and no way to adjust them.

That design even made the Stage III three gear oil bath transfer case look like an improvement because real gears don't stretch.

Anyway...
From what I can glean from the sparse info anywhere steer clear of the 5G.
For bolt-on's stick with an adjustable T-belt (Toothed belt) transfer case, they vary in quality at the clutch and freewheel, but an adjustable, clean and quite transfer case does make a difference in riding comfort and ease of service.

In short I'd rather dick with the 7G's clutch than trying to tension or replace 2 chains with no adjustment ability....
But then again the 5G clutch bell would need to be in a bearing system to support the sprockets so better than the 7G there...
Don't ya hate those trade-offs?

Last edited: