Kona UTE cargo bike

GoldenMotor.com

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I was planning my first electric conversion would be a Felt cruiser but I picked up this Kona UTE this weekend when I spotted it on CL. Kona sells an electric version and others I've seen have a front wheel hub motor but I think that's mostly because they are using low price\quality kits. I'm thinking a rear wheel Magic Pie 3 w/ 7 speed gears and disc brake is the way to go. Although the frame looks like it has a lot of space I can't find any decent capacity batteries that fit within the frame so I'll probably put the battery on the deck close the the seat.

Any reason why I should consider using a front hub motor instead? Any battery or other suggestions?

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
that sure is different isnt it. why do you need the gears with an electric motor? arent they rated pretty high nowadays?1000w and up?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
gears i think are great on a hub motor for pedal assist, i have some long steep mountains i go up and having gears to assist the motor is real nice especially when i am tired. i personally thing gears are a must on a electric bicycle if you live in a hilly area.
front hub i say absolutely not. you go around a corner and their is just a few pebbles on the road you are going to crash if you give it any throttle, the front end will slip out in front of you, especially with a powerful hub like the magic pie 3

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
that sure is different isnt it. why do you need the gears with an electric motor? arent they rated pretty high nowadays?1000w and up?
I use to think I didn't need gears when I was using the Boxer frame but then can my beach cruiser and it really is helpful especially when your climbing hills.

BTW good choice of bike.