MP3 done...finally...mostly

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Started this project the begining of August.
Its nice to be on 2 wheels again.
I pedaled Mt.bikes like mad from 1987-1997, some times 90 miles or more, now it just hurts.
I have had dirt bikes since i was 10, now i'm 43,150lbs and out of shape.
I wanted to do this build for around $1000...LOL!

After coming to the conclusion that all the parts on the 'new' project bike are junk, i replaced everything but the seat, kick stand and fenders...good grief.
Cha Ching!
I should say that the bike parts are fine for riding a couple blocks to the beach or where-ever at 10mph or less.
I felt that +20mph for 20 miles I want some decent parts on my bike.

Fito GT (single speed)(Felt knock off/look)
Magic pie 3 (rear)
CODD power 48v 10a lifepo4 (in frame mount)
64 lbs. built
17-20mph flat no pedal (will go 25+ in all actuality) Had the wheel size set too large for about 4 months...doh.
32mph max...so far (on gravel road/down hill) Whoo Hoo!
48t front 16t rear gears, can pedal to about 25mph then run out of gears

I had more of a 'dirtbike' like feel in mind, maybe a little "Oh Sh*t!" factor...not so. Its more like i have the legs of a 20 year old again.
Not sure 'torque and magic pie' should be used in the same sentence. (wrong, user error)
Have to pedal up hill or it will slow to a stop.
In grass, just gass'n the throtle it wont move without pedaling.
Torque arm seems a bit overkill now, not to sure i will add one.
---(edit* User error, 10a/20a max,software setting,whoops)---

Flat tires REALLY suck, about 60 miles the first week on bike so far and a flat rear left me walk/lifting 3/4 miles, got lucky was on the way home. Motorcycle tires are solid enough to support the weight of a bike, not so with bicycle tires, your on the rim, BAM!

Slimed the tubes...cross fingers that stuff works. <--EDIT, Slime is terrible, wrecked 2 air gauges from the junk getting into and gumming them up, I wont use it again.

Need to put a tool kit together to keep murphy at bay.

Only had one issue with the MP3, i set the regen brake to 0%(software) and it killed the throtle, seems as if you have to set it to at least 1% or no go.
That had me stumped for a bit as i had changed the setting when i fixed the flat, i thought maybe i damaged the wires or something. Glad that was an easy fix.

Great web site thanks for the inspiration.
Fun stuff!

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
can you take a couple close ups on how you mounted the battery. and yes flat tires suck, I used to get them pretty often. I went to a good swaulbe tire and have had only one since and that is over 2,000 miles. great looking electric motorized bicycle

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Hey Paul!
Your the guy that finally sold me on the Pie, thanks man, way fun!

I used a billet tube clamp for the front, 1.5". (dune buggy parts)
The rear black tube clamp is an Allstar ballast bracket,1.25".(maybe electrical? not to sure) E-bay
The side rails are aluminum angle as is the front tube clamp to side rail bracket.
The rear tube clamp to rail bracket is a flat piece bent to fit.
Bike feels well balanced.
A piece of foam to pad the bottom.
The battery came as what looked like just duct taped cells and the BMS.
I covered the bottom, rear and sides with 1/4" plywood and duct taped it up good, webbing strap to hold it down.

I have ridden with loaded up rear rack on mt. bikes and didnt like how it felt top heavy.

I am running 24x3.0 tires and the tubes are almost hard to find.
Tire choice was kinda a dirt bike look/comfort thing, i live a mile down a gravel road.

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you i really appreciate it, i never even knew they had clamps like that, time to do some thinking on some changes i may make on my motorized bicycle

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
After the flat tire i decided i better get a tool kit together.
I didnt want to pack a large wrench for 1 size nut, rear axle.
Cut a closed end wrench down to size.
Can put a tube or pipe on it if you really need to go all out.

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Thanks Cranbrookkid, i am digging it.

If i get brave i will do a build thread or this may turn into it.
Just need some sharkteeth decals(airplane) and get this Cycle Analyst hooked up then i am done...i hope. Ordered the wrong CA now i need to do the shunt retofit.

A couple friends asked, 'where's the motor?'
I say, 'its the rear hub.'
Then they ask, 'whats that big disc on the rear wheel?'
dnut

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Just over 100 miles on the MP3 and it seems like its getting louder.
The dirt here is more or less volcanic pumice dust, not really like soil.
Picture if you will super abrasive sand and you have it.
Used to cover R/C motors with Vetwrap (for animals) to keep the dirt out.
Maybe it will help the Pie.
Not sure this did anything, the bearings are sealed.
I think the increased noise was more due to the fact i was wearing a hat that covered my ears the first week riding...DOH! Now its been nice, no ears covered, slightly more noise...silly human.
Its also abit faster than i first though, about 23mph on the flat no pedaling.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
So... user error to report.
Guess you can throw out my initial impressions in the first post.

I was mildly disapointed with the 'in your seat' power feel.
I had set the programing software to what i thought was correct for the battery.
48v/10a continuous/20a max

Got to digging/reading that it was better set on 24v...it is! (why even have a setting for voltage GM?)
edit- I wanted to add that after reading on the GM site I found out that the voltage setting is to regulate the low voltage cutoff, so its probably a good idea to set it to the proper voltage of the battery you use.

New setting,(back to factory setting).
24v/20a continuous/50a max
Seems like this was how it was before i started tampering.

If it sounded like i was bashing the MP3, i did still like it, now i like it even more.
This is my first eBike so i lack any electric comparison.
Ride on!

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
48 v 10ah set to 30 and 70. continuous 3 ( c rating) x 10=30 you can set max to either 50 or 70. you will notice even more difference in your motorized bicycle performance. as far as voltage 48v will run fine set at 24 however 24 will not run set at 48v. set that how you like. I have messed with lots of settings and the one above I get the best performance with my 10 amp battery. my 15ah I set at 45 again c rating of battery is 3 and you multiply it time the ah for setting which is 45
these settings I got from golden motor china

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Thanks again Paul.

Its just getting better.
I was having troubles finding much info on the programmer settings.

Reading others impressions of eBike motors i started thinking my MP3 was sounding more like a 500w motor not 1000w it should be.
48v x 10a=480v
48v x 20a=960v
48v x 30a=1440v
250 miles(so far) on it having to pedal on the hills i was getting the legs moving/exersize at 48v 10a/20a max.
Went 10 miles yesterday with the 24v 20a/50a max, didnt have to pedal on the hills(nothing to steep) and it felt alot better torque wise...maybe i do need a torque arm.
It was the first time the MP3 even got warm.It was closer to 25mph on the flats too.
I will try the 30a/70a max setting today.

One thing about this mistake i made is that it would extend the range.
A couple rides i went 20 miles without a problem(10a/20a max,w/pedaling) and it took 1 hour to charge.
Yesteday 10 miles(20a/50a max,very little pedaling) 1 hour charge time.

/cheers

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
...and better!

30a/70a max, this is what i had in mind in the first place.
Now it dosent feel so much like a bicycle.
Getting a little wheel spin in the dirt, might/could hurt oneself now.
Not sure i will get much exersize like this.

Best get on that torque arm now....duh.

The voltage setting (programer) just seems redundant as it is backward compatible.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I also have a smart pie when I want exercise, glad you got it set up how you want. motorized bicycles are the only way to travel

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Thanks Paul, Cannondale moto 120 forks in the next pics I hope! How about some nice WARM beach pics...nudge nudge wink wink.