Manic Mechanic hub adapter No longer SLIPS!!!!!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Ok, you guys have me worried, I just installed my mm adaptor and don't want to goof it up. I don't have a torque wrench (I know, I know hf has them cheap) and just tightened as much as dared. How hard/easy would it be to strip those threads? I worry about aluminum, having some bad experiences in the past.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I have had to shim my adapter and grind it down a bit to get it to grip enough.... Mine slips once till it jams against the spokes and good from there..... I have about 1000 miles on mine

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Ok, you guys have me worried, I just installed my mm adaptor and don't want to goof it up. I don't have a torque wrench (I know, I know hf has them cheap) and just tightened as much as dared. How hard/easy would it be to strip those threads? I worry about aluminum, having some bad experiences in the past.
If you are only using an allen wrench / key you will need to use a
cheater bar or tube to get enough force on it to apply 20' lbs

The 5/16" bolts have coarse threads and will not strip out the aluminum.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I will say this about the jerry rigging: You gotta do what you gotta do, we dont always have the money for a better part, even if its dirt cheap (like that HD hub). You work with what ya got, and hope for the best. Even the inexperienced can do it, though its not recommended, its the trial and error that you learn from, and pass on the information. Of course in uncharted territory like alot of mods for these bikes, you can only do it and hope for the best. I got lucky and had a second motor for spare parts so I could experiment with tuning, even though people said it would be detrimental or wouldnt work period, I did it anyway just to see the effects, but I knew that I had the safety net of the spare motor. My only real concern at this stage is whether my bike will hold up or not, I trust my own handy work to my death bed, I know if it fails, it's my fault, and I'll learn from it. If someone elses handy work fails on me, thats when my usually massive amounts of patience, ends quickly.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
We've all probably had to come up with a creative solution at one point or another with these little machines. I had to come up with a bracket for my front brake. I've got a Worksman front drum brake and a pair of motorcycle forks. The hub isn't as wide as the forks, and this presented two challenges. One was that the axle had to have the correct spacing. I solved this by using a longer axle and extra nuts on the inside of the fork legs to center the wheel, pretty obvious and easy. But the more challenging aspect was securing the brake arm, since it won't reach the fork leg either. I took a piece of a motorcycle chain guard that a buddy gave me, cut off the excess with the dremel, and bolted one end of it to the brake arm and the other to the fender hole on the fork. It actually works great and doesn't look too shabby either.

chrisnbush

Jan 10, 2008
Richmond, NH
Hey, here is something that worked for me with my HF79cc + EZM clutch setup. Have the manic adapter 3 prong sprocket mount, beveled prongs, 2 part mount. Have worksman rear coaster wheel 11 gauge spokes.

I put a coating of cheap fingernail polish on the manic mount surfaces that clamp to the hub, then sprinkled on some sifted sand and let it dry. Put it back together, tightened, rode just a little, tightened, repeat until didn't have to tighten

Now mount stays put, does not advance to spokes. I have 60 tooth sprocket, and variable pulley set at 2.5" so I am putting SOME torque on that wheel. The is NH, we have these things called HILLS here...

By the way, if any other idiot out there doesn't know, don't even bother with 12 guage spoke rear wheel with this setup. I trashed 2 good wheels before i got my worksman rear wheel. Now all is well. LOVING THIS BIKE THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR FOR 5 YEARS, AFTER HT, DAX, GRUBEE, ETC.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I have also had some trouble with the adapter slipping. It hasn't ruined my spokes yet, but it is a concern especially as I'm planning to install a 79cc predator some time later this year. The adapter will slip and hit my spokes. So what I did was went to Home Depot and bought two #10-32 x 3/4 set screws. I've got a buddy who has a drill press and tap set. I'm planning to drill and tap it next weekend. I'm going to use both set screws at slightly opposite angles toward the hub. I'm pretty confident that this will keep it from slipping. It also doesn't require cutting or grinding, or disassembling the wheel. Not knocking the OP, I think he had a good idea too. Right now I just can't afford a dremel or bits for it. So I came up with a different idea.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have also had some trouble with the adapter slipping. It hasn't ruined my spokes yet, but it is a concern especially as I'm planning to install a 79cc predator some time later this year. The adapter will slip and hit my spokes. So what I did was went to Home Depot and bought two #10-32 x 3/4 set screws. I've got a buddy who has a drill press and tap set. I'm planning to drill and tap it next weekend. I'm going to use both set screws at slightly opposite angles toward the hub. I'm pretty confident that this will keep it from slipping. It also doesn't require cutting or grinding, or disassembling the wheel. Not knocking the OP, I think he had a good idea too. Right now I just can't afford a dremel or bits for it. So I came up with a different idea.
Just a little word of advice on using set screws for this application.......check them and tighten them frequently if necessary. I can almost guaranty you they will come loose.....loctite or not.

I use a lot of set screws in my jack shaft set-ups and a lot of times I use 2 set screws in each hole......a set screw to hold the other set screw, so to speak. This works well for me.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
ok if anyone is still reading this and interested even after all my anxious rants!! i now finally got this dang hub adapter to stop slipping. I came to terms that just having it clamped with even 20lbs of force was not enough to keep that dang adapter from slipping. i have an ezqmatic tranny so i assumed because its such a beast that there was just too much power with that baby to keep a just clamped adapter still.

QUOTE]

What this should have told you is that 20 ft lb isn't tight enough. I was having the same problem. I solved it with 25 ft lb.