Attempting to open the gear box...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Have the 4 Stroke with the Stage III gearbox. Would love to be able to get the cover off to apply lithium grease to the gears. The problem is that I can't turn the 7 screws to get the cover off. They are super tight & no screwdriver I have can even begin to turn the screws. Any suggestions short of TNT to get the cover off? Would I be able to replace these screws with 10mm bolts or will the screws come off easier next time?

Plus...got some 85W-145 gear oil. Several have said lithium grease works best...but others have said gear oil's not good. Any suggestions?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I recommend using a hand held impact driver (the hit it with a hammer type). They are sold at most automotive parts stores for a reasonable price.
Yes, it is a good idea to replace the screws with allen head screws at your earliest convienance.
After you get the factory screws out, take them back to the auto parts store or your local hardware store to match the size and thread pitch.
Go with the white lithum grease, and be careful to avoid getting any inside the clutch. BTW, the clutch hates oil, so don't go that way.

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I recommend using a hand held impact driver (the hit it with a hammer type). They are sold at most automotive parts stores for a reasonable price.
Yes, it is a good idea to replace the screws with allen head screws at your earliest convienance.
After you get the factory screws out, take them back to the auto parts store or your local hardware store to match the size and thread pitch.
Go with the white lithum grease, and be careful to avoid getting any inside the clutch. BTW, the clutch hates oil, so don't go that way.
Got the impact driver...but won't be able to do anything till I get home on Monday from vacation. Been a great time...looking for work & finding several subbing jobs here in Idaho. 2 months...should be able to show these folks what an MB is.

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
Yes, the impact driver is the way to go.

Not to get off track, I am working on one that does not transfer the power to the drive. The motor runs, the clutch expands to the bell, but the power does not reach the gears for some reason. The key on the pulley is in, but it will just not transfer the power.

This began when the chain jumped the rear sprocket and tore things up a bit, destroying all the mounting bolts on the rear sprocket.

Just a readable schematic would be helpful so I can figure out what is missing/wrong.

Thanks for any assistance.

Gary

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
Buy an impact hammer with screwdriver bits. They will loosen anything. Just make sure of which way it's trying to turn so you don't tighten them and break them.