Sprocket wear

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys I was prepping my ride with the general maintenance ,ie safety checks ,bearing greasing and adjustments and such .
I got to the back wheel and noticed something strange being quite considerable wear to my 32t sprocket ,granted it's done over 1000 km by now but the wear is quite bad and many of the teeth have worn down to be 3 to4 mm ,it's not causing any issues for now but I'm sure I will eventually lose a few teeth causing the entire drive train to be compromised.

I always keep my chain at a minimum 1/4 slack and well oiled and maintained but this baffles me as to why it has so much wear on it and what I can do to negate this issue when I replace the sprocket with a 39 t ( the 32 is ever so slightly tall for a chinagirl IMHO

So the questions ,why so much wear ? Is it a cheap made sprocket ? Is it because I tow a trailer daily ? And what can I do to avoid this in the future ?

Regards Hen

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
how well did the sprocket match the chain to begin with?
Did the chain run freely on the sprocket when it was new?
A worn chain will also cause rapid sprocket wear and vise versa..
I'd be replacing the chain when you replace the sprocket
Maybe the sprocket is made of crap metal?
How soft is it to the file compared to another sprocket?
Where did you get a 32t in OZ?
39t is a good choice for a standard to warm motor, for general use that's what I run on my 'run about'.
How are you Sean? and how are your 'Mod's' going?
You gunna 'Bomb' Bella?

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Thanks Theon ,all my projects are on hold for a big project and it's one I just can't sit aside , alas when the time is right I will be ordering a new head and seals and such ,I've got an exp chamber coming soon but for the time being I'm on hold with everything ,I'm sure with the photo I uploaded with this everyone will understand

Cheers man Regards Sean

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hen, one question. Is your rear sprocket steel.....or aluminum?

Also 1/4" of slack is a little on the tight side. You might want to back off to 1/2". However, if the tooth wear is as bad as you say adding some slack might prompt chain derailment if the alignment isn't spot on.

Tom