Frankenengine lives, sorta...

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Hey guys. In case you haven't read my other threads, here's what I've been up to.

I had to replace the crankshaft in my RAW 66cc engine, but RAW no longer makes or sells the necessary parts, so I bought a crankshaft and piston meant for a grubee, and after installation I added extra jug base gaskets to prevent the piston from hitting the head.

Recently I've finally been able to get the engine running. Only, it doesn't run all that well. It barely pulls me along, if that. Most of the time it doesn't even start.

I can't figure out the problem, but I have an idea; would extremely high compression prevent the engine from firing properly? Because of the compensation I had to make with the gaskets in order to get the piston to clear the head, it only clears the head by a little bit and that creates a lot more compression. I'd think that more compression would be better, but is there a point where compression actually prevents the engine from running properly?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is correct about compression. You might even be getting detonation, in which case don't run the engine at all until you resolve it. I'd recommend looking up 2 stroke tuning sites and learning about squish bands, everybody that's ever tried to go fast with raised compression has found the limit somewhere. Last year I killed 2 4 stroke pistons that way.