Question on Installing a Springer Front End.

GoldenMotor.com

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I got a generic springer front end, it came in today but had no directions. I looked online and found this video: YouTube - Bicycle Parts - springer fork, steering tube, and headset installation.

It looks like they have the same problem that I have, the fork is too long for the head tube. The top nut on the headset has a shoulder inside which prevents me from tightening it all the way down. Would it be OK to chuck the forks on the horizontal bandsaw and cut an inch off?

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Yes cut it with a hacksaw and lots of oil or band saw . Before you cut anything ,be sure you have the springer fully assemballed on the steertube .
Tighten all the steering pieces that you will use as if you were installing it for the last time . Then mark the spot to cut with a partial cut through the threaded section sticking out the top . Disassemball the components and secure the tube in a vise ,use a cloth or padding to protect the chrome . Now this is most benificial , thread the nut back on the steertube past your cut mark and leave it there until your done cutting . Then turn the nut back off using it to restore the starting thread at the cut you just finished making .

Last edited:

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
If you cut the threaded portion make sure you put the adjuster and locknut on first so that removing them after the cut will help fix the threads. Also, don't forget to account for the thickness of the springer bracket that goes between adjuster nut and locknut.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Cut the fork threads with my horizontal metal bandsaw, worked like a champ. I put the bottom nut on below the cut it so that I could use it to clean out the threads. Assembled the front end and installed the forks, Looks like it is OK.

Now that I have it installed, I have another question. Are you supposed to locktite the bolt that passes thru the spring? Is there supposed to be a nut on it?

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
The bolt through the spring broke off on my springer. I had to take it to a machine shop to get it out. That scared me a bit so I went and got grade 8 hardened bolts from home depot for both the spring bolt and the pivot bolt. Also I noticed old schwinn springers had a nut behind the screw in plate. I got nylon locking nuts for the spring bolt and the pivot bolt. I haven't yet cut the steering tube, I used spacers.