Schwinn M Searcher w/ SBP Shifter Kit

GoldenMotor.com

rreyesjr15

May 11, 2010
Edinburg, Tx
Hows it going guys,

This past week I received a Grubee Skyhawk GT5 66cc engine and SBP Shifter Kit in the mail and started assembling it on a Schwinn Searcher. I worked on it saturday and monday, but since it is my first build i am still not finished with it...lol. So far, I am at the beginning of step 12 in the SBP Shifter Kit manual and everything seems to be coming out great. However, I have a couple of questions and I am hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Roel

1. When installing a shifter kit and engine, should you install the engine first, or start with the shifter kit?

2. The searcher came with a 3 piece cartridge...do you really need a 3 piece standard for the shift kit to work?

I was able to salvage the left standard cup from an old mountain bike, but the right cup is still cartridge, will this affect the shift kit?

3. Has anyone ever built this setup, and if so do you have any tips that will make this project possible.

4. I saw some muffler parts at an oreily auto parts...is is possible to make a muffler...the stock one does not fit and I do not have a torch to heat and bend the muffler.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Welcome to th forum, I'd like to offer some help, but I havn't done a shifter kit yet. Fear not, you'll get some feedback in the AM

Mac

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
1. When installing a shifter kit and engine, should you install the engine first, or start with the shifter kit?
You should defo fit the shift kit to the engine first, but you'll hafta disassemble it a bit (remove jackshaft) to install it on the bike. It'll take a lil back and forth as you fit engine mounts and postition everything - but it's not as hard as it sounds.

2. The searcher came with a 3 piece cartridge...do you really need a 3 piece standard for the shift kit to work?

I was able to salvage the left standard cup from an old mountain bike, but the right cup is still cartridge, will this affect the shift kit?
Interesting question... I'm assuming the alternative would be a one-piece and I don't think that would work out with the freewheel bearing & sprockets. As the kit comes with the cartridge & cranks why not use them? SBP has adapters if the bottom bracket size/cups are an issue... maybe I'm not understanding the question?

3. Has anyone ever built this setup, and if so do you have any tips that will make this project possible.
Not exactly yer setup but yea, two lil tips ifn ya wants them - first is to grind the tabs on yer clutch cover a bit so you can reverse the fasteners, having the nuts accessible from the outside means ya can remove the clutch cover for matainance without needing to disassemble the engine/shiftkit & to make metal pads for the clamps out of pipe to diffuse the crimping force on yer seatpost tube, like this;

(click to view)

4. I saw some muffler parts at an oreily auto parts...is is possible to make a muffler...the stock one does not fit and I do not have a torch to heat and bend the muffler.
You don't always need heat to bend the headpipe;
Archimedes said:
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

Welcome to the addiction BTW, good ta have ya here!
.wee.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Which Shifter kit did you buy?

If you bought the standard kit, keep all the parts except the spindle, just use the supplied longer spindle. If you bought a HD kit, just thread the Bottom Bracket cartridge in.

As for a general tip, install your engine without the Shifter Kit first to make sure it at least it starts and runs.

You can always email Jim (Ghost0) or me for help.

Thanks!

Paul

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I've built about 7 of these over the last couple of years but I'm not sure of your question.
I currently have 2 Searchers and a Skyliner in my "fleet".