2nd build, a few questions (fork especially)

GoldenMotor.com

SalisCruiser

Sep 28, 2008
Im about to begin my second mb build. my first bike was an "80" cc happy time on a huffy cranbrook, and while it was good as far as a first build, i'm stepping it up for this second one. I just purchased an Electra Cruiser 7d, another 80 cc happytime, a shift kit and a few other odds and ends.
Now, im trying to figure out what i can do as far as adding some form of suspension. as far as i've found, there is not a whole lot of selection out there when it comes to 1in threaded suspension forks. so in my research i came across this:
Converts conventional threaded headsets to us 1 1/8" threadless stems....S&H $5.95 or $2.95
>> DESCRIPTION:

... Alloy threadless adapter.
... Converts conventional threaded headset to use stem for 1 1/8" threadless.
... Has removable shim so it will fit 1" or 1 1/8" fork steerer, BUT MAY NOT FIT ALL OF THEM, SO PLEASE MEASURE TO BE SURE.

The diameter of the bottom part that goes into the fork steerer is 22.2mm without the shim and is 25.4mm with the shim on it.

is this all i need to run a newer 1-1/8 fork?

or will i have to find a fork and take it to a machine shop and have it machined to a 1 inch tube.
now if this is the route i take, will i still be able to use the original headset, or will i have to find a new one.

sorry for all the newb questions. thanks for any insight!

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I'm really not sure how that would work, seeing most suspension forks are 1 1/8". It really seems like it's more for converting 1 1/8 to 1" "to use cruiser type parts" or threaded 1 1/8" to thread less.

Here's a couple of springer cruiser forks, that should work well enough. the 2 springer forks on top right

Beach Cruiser Bicycle Bike Parts & Accessories 60% OFF MSRP, only at bikebuyers.com

There are a few draw backs for cruisers that I've found, the 1" headset being one of them, the bottom bracket being another and god forbid you want disc brake mounts on one.

Last edited:

SalisCruiser

Sep 28, 2008
I'm really not sure how that would work, seeing most suspension forks are 1 1/8". It really seems like it's more for converting 1 1/8 to 1" "to use cruiser type parts" or threaded 1 1/8" to thread less.
yeah thats what i was thinking, i thought maybe i was missing something. thanks for the link, im checking them out right now. thanks man!

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i used that adaptor...its fot either 1 1/8 or 1 inch none threaded...it is a quial stem and when you stick in the head tube you tighten it down and it expands....isnt the electra a 1 1/8 inch...?I believe it can be used by both....I used it on my second build and havnt had any problem...good luck...Dennis

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
i used that adaptor...its fot either 1 1/8 or 1 inch none threaded...it is a quial stem and when you stick in the head tube you tighten it down and it expands....isnt the electra a 1 1/8 inch...?I believe it can be used by both....I used it on my second build and havnt had any problem...good luck...Dennis

From what it looks like they are 1" headsets e l e c t r a

I would love to find a cruiser with some upgraded aspects myself, but they all seem to be the same with the exception of frame geometry.

SalisCruiser

Sep 28, 2008
drhofferber,this adapter only allows me to run a 1-1/8th threadless stem as opposed to a 1-1/8 in fork, correct? i reread it a few times, and i finally think i understand. so with that adapter i would still be running the fork with the 1in steer tube.

back to the drawing board i guess...
and shadeslay, i really like those forks, but unfortuately it apperars to be too short... the steer tube on the electra is 215mm (8.45in) and these are 8 in... drat..

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
the Nirve cruisers run a 1 1/8 headset...also check out their parts...you should be able to purchase forms of 1 1/8 suspension forks...just type in Nirve...OK...Dennis...or find a threadless for that is long and cut it to the size you want....i ran across the same problem with my gary fisher...7.75 tube...i finally found a 8 inch threaded...and barly worked using these extensions...RST forks make a fork that you can replace the size of the fork tube...universal cycle carries those....check out FLY bikes...they also could carrie something like that...Dennis

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've been doing this myself and learning the hard way-- I was a bike mechanic years ago, but things have changed-

I've got a Micargi cruiser, with a 1 inch headset and 1 inch steer tube-

I don't like springer forks much myself- too heavy and too much rake!

So I got one suspension fork off the net- e-bay- real cheap, TOO CHEAP I guess- good quality and with a one inch steer, but not quite long enough- remember it has to be longer than the frames steer tube-

I need a 6 inch steer- 150 mm I think- this one's 130mm.

I've found one inch steers long enough, but for 24" wheels-!!!!!!!

So then I found another cheap fork ($30) with right length of steer, but with 1 1/8 steer, and thinking I could convert- WRONG!

The frame steer tubes are different diameters- I was learning all about threadless headsets (which I hate- NO ADJUSTMENT!), and thinking I'd get SOMETHING to work, but finally learned that the steer tubes on the frames are different-

My 1 inch cruiser tube won't accept a 1 1/8 inch headset fork-

the good news is that suspension forks 1 inch steer tubes are out there- just hard to find- there's one on e=bay now-

go there and search "bicycle suspension forks"- there's one selling for about $50 and w/ $15 shipping- a little pricey, but when the bike gets up to 25 or 30 mph, i think it will help on the potholes and rough pavement-

Make sure the steer is long enough- and remember you can cut down a longer one with a hacksaw (if it's got enough thread)
, but you can't make a short one longer

good luck

SalisCruiser

Sep 28, 2008
now heres an idea ive had. What if i was able to find a piece of pipe that had the same outer diameter as the inner diameter of the steer tube. could i cut the steer tube of the fork in half, and use the the pipe to extend the steer tube? the headset is only in contact with the steer tube at the top and bottom of the steer tube right? so would it matter if the steer tube wasnt the same diameter in the middle so essentially doing this:

(///////////////)===========(_______________rest of fork---->
Threaded section extension pipe rest of the fork

or is there something im overlooking

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
yes you can but cut it closer to the bottom because of the qual stem you must use...if you go to universal cycles they sell steering tubes for rst forks...so you could purchase them there...Dennis...here in reno there is a bicycle shop that deals with nothing but used parts...maybe your have one of those in your area...

SalisCruiser

Sep 28, 2008
thanks dr. I looked into the rst forks, but from what i saw they were a bit more expensive then im looking to spend right now. i just found a fork on ebay that might work though. we will see. thanks for the guidance!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey the extended tube does sound like a pretty good idea-

but I'm still thinking that the steer tube on the frame itself might not accommodate the larger (or smaller) races at the non standard end- I can't say for certain, but I think the frame tubes are actually different diameters- maybe the bearing would fit on the lower races- but I have doubts- at any rate- you'd need to have two halves of two different sized headsets-

and then how to join the tubes- braze or weld them, or drive bolts through, or both?

good luck- I just finally ordered the 1 inch suspension fork - it says it has 8 inch steer tube with 4 inches threaded- which will mean I'll have to hacksaw it down to six inches- which is done often in bikeshops-

I'll let you know how it goes.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok- I've been re-reading your original post carefully- and this may help-

first get the measurements straight- remember that 1 inch is 2.54 centimeters, or 25.4 mm

22.2 mm is 7/8 of an inch-

next we need to specifyt inner diameter as opposed to outer diameter- outer diameter seems to run another 1/8 inch-

so: a 7/8 inch 22.2 stem generally fits inside a 1 inch fork steer,

and, a 1 inch 25.4 stem fits inside a 1 1/8 fork steer tube-

smaller stem quills, 21.1 generally fit smaller BMX forks and some Schwinn headsets and forks- I guess the outer fork steer is the 7/8

I've seen those adapters advertised, and think you could try one and probably get it to work or get a refund-

Only thing is, they work like a stem- a slanted bolt expands to hold it on- and that's all that ends up holding the whole thing together- I saw them advertised as well, but didn't want to make up a too short fork steer with only one of those holding it all together- you bet your life!

I personally don't want to feel that the whole head/stem assembly depends on only one bolt- but a bike shop owner assured me that mountain bike racers everywhere swear by them these days-

but i also think you'd have to the get a threadless stem to clamp down on it, and then have little adjustment without spacers, and more fork length-

also I'm wondering if a threadless stem can still be clamped onto a threaded fork- and I think so- the 1 1/8 diameter is still the same-

I now have a really nice 1 1/8 threaded suspension fork I bought, that apparently will not fit correctly in the frame, even if I got another stem and headset-

so i'd let it go cheap if anybody wants one- it is blue, brand new and the steer is 1 1/8" inch outer diameter with a a length of 7 inches with 1 1/4 inch of threading- I also have a spacer/top cup combined an inch long that I bought when I thoufght all I needed was then another headset

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
I just bought a huffy cranbrook[$30] at a yard sale for my first in frame 4stroke build. The kit wil be the grubee ghx honda. I will be installing the HD grubee rear axle/hub with the free wheel sprocket and the rear Grubee drum[band ] brake. The stock cranbrook wheels are junk and will be replaced with a better /wider rims and 12g spokes. I have been searching for a susp fork with a 1"steerer tube. I finally found a decent fork. Its a SR Suntour XCT V2 Suspension Fork which can be ordered by a bike shop from Seattlebicyclesupply. Don't know the price. They come in several steerer tube lengths and have 80mm of travel. Spring loaded not elastomers ..duh.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Here's the bike with the new fork- The steer is 1 inch, and it was 8 inches long so I had to hack off a couple inches- short work with a hacksaw.

Between the thinner tires (1.75 x 26" and not the knobby wide 2.25" cruiser tires) and the shock fork, vibration is much much less and more pleasant to ride- with the 36 tooth rear sprocket, she really rolls! The fork is a little heavier than the stock one- I got it on ebay.

Now I hope to get the extended muffler on somehow, with some pipe insulation "motor mounts", and the noise and vibration should be even less-

I'd really like to try a motor on some lightweight and narrow 700c wheels. That size would actually fit on this cruiser, but I'd have to get some road bike brakes.

Attachments

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Another view

Also just installed a dual brake lever (not pictured)- highly recommend for bikes with hand brakes- makes life much simpler! And a small thumbshifter works much better than the original twistgrip shifter, I had to put on the left side backwards.

Some saddlebag baskets, and shell be ready for the grocery...

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Nice bike, Nashville Kat. That should be a really comfortable ride with the suspension fork and seat post. The one bike that I have with front suspension makes a big difference.

John

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Another view

Also just installed a dual brake lever (not pictured)- highly recommend for bikes with hand brakes- makes life much simpler! And a small thumbshifter works much better than the original twistgrip shifter, I had to put on the left side backwards.

Some saddlebag baskets, and shell be ready for the grocery...
did a real nice job on the bike....looks great...how much for the fork...have fun...Dennis

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I got the fork from ebay store "cruisinthe lowlife" after search for "bicycle suspension fork"- The maker was "GTS" I think- I took the stickers off- it was $48 I think, plus shipping