Running without a clutch cover, probably a bad idea?

GoldenMotor.com

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Hey, I just got a centrifugal clutch installed on my china girl, the peddles dont clear the clutch with the new cover on, but it does if the cover is off, so, while I wait for my wide cranks to come, I took her for a test ride without the little cover over the centrifugal clutch, I must say, I love the look and being able to see the whole thing working,how damaging would it be to run it uncovered? would the dust cause that much harm? the kit has a little hole ( for what reason, im not sure) on the cover anyways, so I was wondering if it may be ok to just ditch the cent. clutch cover all together.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Safety would be my only concern. You got gears to catch things in and those three steel rods that stick out of the clutch would sure tear up a knee or ankle but whatever floats your boat....

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Woops, wrong clutch cover thread.

What I meant to say was...

The only time I run with the cover off is when I'm adjusting the clutch and rolling around by where I'm working at. As soon as I'm done, that cover goes on. I really don't want to replace those gears if say, a shoelace with a metal aglet gets sucked in there, or a rock or anything.

Last edited:

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Possible problems I can see are:
Caught clothing, grit and dust getting in, water/moisture getting in, grease not staying in, and possibly more noise.

If you wanted to maybe see all the stuff working, It would be kinda neat to make a clear cover out of lexan...