NOW WHAT? gearing choise help/ ideas

GoldenMotor.com

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
so within 100 miles of use my N-360 is junk. and as much as i liked it, its pointless to put a new one on. i see the same thing happening again. i dont have pics right yet. but when i do. you can see where the hub came open, and all the fluid ran out.

what im looking for now is an idea of where to go next.. is there a hub that will hold up? or should i just go with the gear and derailleur set up?

either way, a strong setup is what im after.. im running a 66cc china girl motor. and need something that can take more then my my motor can give it.

thanx ahead of time for any help, links ans/or ideas.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
so within 100 miles of use my N-360 is junk. and as much as i liked it, its pointless to put a new one on. i see the same thing happening again. i dont have pics right yet. but when i do. you can see where the hub came open, and all the fluid ran out.

what im looking for now is an idea of where to go next.. is there a hub that will hold up? or should i just go with the gear and derailleur set up?

either way, a strong setup is what im after.. im running a 66cc china girl motor. and need something that can take more then my my motor can give it.

thanx ahead of time for any help, links ans/or ideas.
If I were me, I'd install the gear and a 34t derailleur setup. I've run 4.25 hp GP 460 engine with a pipe without breaking the derailleur and chain.

Just don't powershift. Release throttle and shift, just like motorcycles.xct2

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
If I were me, I'd install the gear and a 34t derailleur setup. I've run 4.25 hp GP 460 engine with a pipe without breaking the derailleur and chain.

Just don't powershift. Release throttle and shift, just like motorcycles.xct2
i have a 26inch 7 speed wheel with the derailleur set up for now. its working really well, and its all old parts of random bikes.lol so thats what i think im going with..

once i get my old hub back on my rim. i think im going to just swap the single speed cog to a 7 speed. and use the derailleur i have now till it fails. i mean its working, its cheeped then the n-360 and other hubs. and once i get new parts should be strong enough for my liking.

also. the jump stop that came in my kit is junk. should i use one from a old bike. or is it not worth messing with? i was riding today and all went well with out it. but if it will make things safer its worth the tiny bit of work.

thanx for the help.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Was that a NuVinci hub that broke??
yep-:(
and as you may know the hub is full of fluid, and without it the hub is worthless. the hub came open and all the fluid ran out onto the road. and when it happened i was moving, so i dont really know what kind of damage was done inside it.

ill have some pics up soon to show where it opened up.

so its to broke to use, maybe fixable??? even if i get it fixed or replaced. its will not be going back on any bike i ever build.. its a great hub for what it was built for.. but it was not built for my bike.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
i have a 26inch 7 speed wheel with the derailleur set up for now. its working really well, and its all old parts of random bikes.lol so thats what i think im going with..

once i get my old hub back on my rim. i think im going to just swap the single speed cog to a 7 speed. and use the derailleur i have now till it fails. i mean its working, its cheeped then the n-360 and other hubs. and once i get new parts should be strong enough for my liking.

also. the jump stop that came in my kit is junk. should i use one from a old bike. or is it not worth messing with? i was riding today and all went well with out it. but if it will make things safer its worth the tiny bit of work.

thanx for the help.
I use the SBP jump stop to restrict inside movement and the original front derailleur to limit outward movement, both on the bike chain. Both of them are set it and forget it.

I'm using new standard bike chain and new Deore/Shimano derailleur. No abnormal wear and tear after I resolved the chain jumping/breaking issues. The setup is plug and play, very dependable. The best bang for the buck.

Sorry for highjacking this thread.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
I use the SBP jump stop to restrict inside movement and the original front derailleur to limit outward movement, both on the bike chain. Both of them are set it and forget it.

I'm using new standard bike chain and new Deore/Shimano derailleur. No abnormal wear and tear after I resolved the chain jumping/breaking issues. The setup is plug and play, very dependable. The best bang for the buck.

Sorry for highjacking this thread.
well my sbp one would not tighten down right.. so ill just use the one i have now.. and im trying to take it real easy till i get it all tuned up. i think its the old derailleur im using, but i could not hit all gears at first. now i can. but two are slow to shift? not a big deal because its all just a temp setup. and i hope when i get all new parts this wont be a issue.

and if what your doing is highjacking, then i wish more people would highjack my threads. i like to know what people are useing and how its working for them. you have been nothing but helpful and now i feel good about going with this setup. thanx again.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
here are the pics of the hub..

this is the side that dident pop open all the way, so you can see how it should look..

and this one you can see where it came open.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
well my sbp one would not tighten down right.. so ill just use the one i have now.. and im trying to take it real easy till i get it all tuned up. i think its the old derailleur im using, but i could not hit all gears at first. now i can. but two are slow to shift? not a big deal because its all just a temp setup. and i hope when i get all new parts this wont be a issue.

and if what your doing is highjacking, then i wish more people would highjack my threads. i like to know what people are useing and how its working for them. you have been nothing but helpful and now i feel good about going with this setup. thanx again.
Your derailleur might need simple adjustment.

Once everything s dialed in, it is such a sweet setup.dance1

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Your derailleur might need simple adjustment.

Once everything s dialed in, it is such a sweet setup.dance1
yah i think so. either way i have full rang of my gears. and at first i just through this wheel on as a sub till i get my other one fixed. and as far as being a sweet setup, i could not agree more.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
What reduction were you using ??
It looks like the fluid boiled??

Staton says "If you have a 26" wheel you should have a 34 tooth chain ring on the pedal crank, not included.

Maximum input torque: 130 Nm or 95.81 LbFT. Front chain ring / rear sprocket is 2.0 to 1.

Use 34 tooth front chain ring and a 17 tooth freewheel (not included) on the Nu Vinci hub. Or up to a 44 tooth front chain ring and a 22 tooth freewheel on the Nu Vinci hub.
END QUOTE.
I have one of these .
NuVinci CVP Model N171B Gear ratio 350% 36 Hole.
Not the new stronger??? one

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
What reduction were you using ??
It looks like the fluid boiled??

Staton says "If you have a 26" wheel you should have a 34 tooth chain ring on the pedal crank, not included.

Maximum input torque: 130 Nm or 95.81 LbFT. Front chain ring / rear sprocket is 2.0 to 1.

Use 34 tooth front chain ring and a 17 tooth freewheel (not included) on the Nu Vinci hub. Or up to a 44 tooth front chain ring and a 22 tooth freewheel on the Nu Vinci hub.
END QUOTE.
I have one of these .
NuVinci CVP Model N171B Gear ratio 350% 36 Hole.
Not the new stronger??? one
i have the front sprocket that comes with a the SBP shift kit. and a 22 tooth on the hub. and i have a 29er not a 26'' if that makes a diff?

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
well the one on the front that goes to the hubs sprocket is a 36.

it goes from 10 tooth drive gear.(motor) through the shift kit, so to a 17? then 11 then 44. the 36 is the small gear on the duel sprocket front chain ring. and all that went to the 22 in the back.