Fuel Leaking from Carburetor Air Filter??

GoldenMotor.com

jnanasakti

May 21, 2008
I have the 80cc chinese bike kit. Just installed the entire kit (still working on kill switch configuration).

So when I connected opened the gas line from the fuel tank petcock, first off, the line doesn't fill all the way, and gas starts leaking from the Carburetor Air Filter??

There's a blockage somewhere I guess? Maybe my fuel air, mixture screw is too tight??

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I would check you float inside carb. Might be able to "free" it by tapping the primer/ tickler a few times. There have been a few instances where the floats in the carby had leaks and they filled with gas and would not "float".

plethera21

Sep 23, 2008
I have the *exact* same problem. I haven't been able to figure out either issue. It seems the cable line is too short and the carb leaks from the air filter. Any suggestions?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The purpose of the float in the carb is to shut off the fuel flow when the reservoir is full. In your case the carb is overflowing indicating that the fuel flow isn't being shut off so the float is definitely the place to look.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"so when I connected opened the gas line from the fuel tank petcock, first off, the line doesn't fill all the way,"

The fuel line it self does not need to fill to the top. Is OK there.

plethera21

Sep 23, 2008
Mine did the same thing, all I did was bend the metal piece that holds the needle valve to lower the float. Now it works great..........

What's this metal piece? I'm trying to figure out how to lower the float, but it's held in by the spring which raises the needle. I'll keep looking into it... any ideas or pics?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If the carb is dripping gas from the air filter, it means that the float is stuck, or there is a little dirt in the float needle.
Try tapping on the float bowl to free it up.
If that doesn't work, open up the carb and clean it out.
If that still doesn't work, you might have a bad float needle or needle seat... in this case you might just want to buy a new carb for $15 & be done with it. (& have some spare carb parts too)

usermeister

May 24, 2011
Croatia
Well, I'm new here and this is my first post. I found this thread by searching for 'leaking carb' and might have an interesting story to share. Maybe someone will find it useful.

I have a Skyhawk GT5 66cc engine which I purchased recently and have been riding for a couple of days. Yesterday engine started to get coughs and today it turned off. I noticed that the carburator was leaking fuel. It would only leak when fuel valve was completely open.

Since the engine has gone through about 30 miles it somehow seemed unlikely that it could be caused by junk in fuel. Spark plug was also cleaned. It was even replaced with another one when I was taking the spark plug out while defflooding the engine.

Afterwards I took apart the carburator and noticed that mainjet was unscrewed and dropped in a bowl. Being a noob, I wondered whether it was supposed to be like that, but concluded that it wasn't. So I screewed it up, assembled everything back together and... it solved the problem. So I guess the lesson is: check everything related.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm having the same problem.
My float floats, I bent the arms down, and checked to make sure that the needle that stops the flow was clean. Any further causes possible for this problem?

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I got mine figured out. Not sure what was causing the leak, but I took the time today to tear it down, clean it and re-assemble. No more leaks. First time I have been able to ride more than a block or so in about a year. (I had some other problems.) Its nice to be back!

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Just as a precaution I always, always turn off the fuel valve every time I step off my bike. Consequently I always, always forget to turn it back on before I ride...
:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just as a precaution I always, always turn off the fuel valve every time I step off my bike. Consequently I always, always forget to turn it back on before I ride...
:-||
Exactly!
Whaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaa, whaaaaa, bog bog bog, flip valve, WHAAAA WHAAAA WHAAAA!

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I also always turn off the fuel valve. I also recommend replacing the China valve with a higher quality one that is less likely to leak. I got mine from SBP

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Could too large of a jet that makes the motor 4 stroke cause fuel to come back through the air filter on the down stroke?
I got back from 25 miles toda to fuel on my chain guards and on the engine.
I'll post pics in a few minutes.