easy rear engine mount

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I am new to this but had a heck of a time getting my rear engine mount figured out! The kit supplied mount simply wouldnt work with my larger diameter seat post tube. I tried a few things and came up with this (so far, I cant leave anything alone so I'm sure I'll make something different when the idea comes!). I went to Ace as they have the best selection of bolts and hardware in my area and got some grade 10.5 allen head bolts- pretty strong! then off to the scrap yard where i got a nice big piece of 1/4 in thick alluminum- very strong and light and most importantly easy to cut, drill and file. I had an automotive exhaust clamp in the junk box in the garage and it worked out great. The exhaust clamp was to big on its own but with the kits strap (bolt holes cut off) to help distribute the preasure on my chrome moly frame and a piece of heater hose brought the 1 1/2 in. clamp to just about perfect. Also found with this set up you can finely adjust your engine and back and forth for better chain adjustment. I just need a chain break tool to loose 1 half link and do away with the chain tensioner all together. All the harware here is cheap and very strong. I spent less than 6 bucks (figuring the clamp might be 2.50 if I didnt have one already) and have a big piece of alluminum to make more stuff!

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue,
I'm not a fan of any type of rubber or resilient mount but with your design it probably will not allow for any appreciable engine movement so it should be okay. In most cases when a builder soft mounts the engine it promotes vibration instead of decreasing it. However the thin heater hose you've used is probably compressed enough so it will not allow or add to the vibration; and it protects the frame. My only concern is that the engine weight and vibration are concentrated on the two threaded portions of the muffler clamp. That could give you trouble after some running time in failure of the, what looks like 5/16", clamp. Keep and eye on that mount and let us know if it pans out for you. Thanks for sharing your idea.
Tom

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
So far so good on the mount. Only have about 20 good rough miles on it and it seems okay. I do see what you are saying about the week link being the muffler clamp bolt. The leverage on it is kept somewhat minimal as there is not a whole lot of space there. I hope to get my chain a touch shorter and be able to suck it a bit closer to the seat tube. Vibration is not noticable I think due to the metal to metal connection on the front side of the seat tube with the rubber on the back side. The width of the clamp (female side) is pretty big and i think is really good for keeping it solid and keeps the engine from twisting. I tried tugging and pushing and the engine will not budge. Hit the canals today for some high speed dirt running and bounced the heck out of it and all is well. Time will tell.

Last edited: