Cranbrook won't stop!!

GoldenMotor.com

stilldoc

Sep 16, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm disappointed with the stopping power of the front side pull brake I put on my Cranbook. The wheel has the stock alloy rim and the brake is adjusted properly but the pads just don't grab well. I've tried different pads from a Specialized I have that work fine on it but still seem to slide on this wheel. Is it the metal/surface?

I don't really want to depend on the coaster brake. Anyone else with a similar problem? Thoughts or suggestions?

dnut"I don't need brakes!"

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I just have the coaster breaks on my cranbrook. I need to get front breaks. But I suggest getting HD steel rims because those rims are soft aluminum. Another thing to add to my long list. :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The Cranboob I had had a flat rim, and the brakes were added after the fact. They worked good. Maybe you could trade at a bike shop for another wheel with the right rim?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
What kind of front brake is it? it sounds like it's just not compatible somehow. Alloy rims shouldn't be a problem, and are really a lighter rim. I've found good caliper road brake to be superior to cantilevers- I'm thinking your frame has no fork mounts for cantilever and you're going through the hole at the top of the wheel?

Just need a good brake, and it can be tricky on cruiser fames w/26" On the other hand, if you put a 27" wheel on, it not only rolls better, but a brake with a shorter reach will then fit- and generaly, the shorter reach brakes are the higher quality and better stop, but generally, they don't fit on a 26" wheel.

Heres the Campagnolo brake I put on my cruiser after I put a 27 X 1 1/4 wheel. It's a fantastic stop, and I got it on ebay cheap, but I don't recommend this model- a Veloce- because the reach is REALLY short, and I had to bore down the sides where the pads fit to get more extension. Also the center fitting is an oversized allen nut, which required more drilling on the fork hole. In short, there's no room for adjustment or error, but I'm happy.

On the other hand, a general road brake, particularly one that advertises itself as a long reach would be easier to install. I don't have any experience with BMX brakes, but that is what generally would fit a cruiser wheel and they're usually not very expensive- search "BMX bicycle brake" on ebay

Attachments

Last edited:

stilldoc

Sep 16, 2009
Oklahoma
Here's what I have:
BMX Caliper Brake Set, Sunlite MX Side Pull Brake Set F or R Complete, 12182 @ eBikeStop.com - The online supplier for all your cycling needs...
Probably just crappy brake.

I think that if I change out the brake, I'll go with something on this page:
Brakes for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery
I would need an "Extra Long Reach" caliper for the Cranbrook with the stock wheel and tire.

Right now, I'm leaning toward changing out the fork to one that has shocks and changing the wheel to one that is stronger with 12g spokes and accommodates a disc brake. Riding on a bumpy surface without a shock @ 20+mph is unpleasant. Anyone have any specific recommendations for the Cranbrook frame?

I know you can spend a great deal of money on a suspension fork and I, like most on this forum, want good quality for the best possible price. I'm not sure I would want a springer fork as I have heard people end up tightening down the spring to the point that they are no longer effective and I'm not sure that they are compatible with a disc brake. That drum brake/wheel might be a good option Finfan. What do people think of springer forks?

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited:

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Doc...I too want suspension forks and also 12G wheels for my cranbrook.
I was going to experiment with some mountainbike forks and see if I can get any to fit snug. Other than that I have no idea what other forks will work. Im a noob but Learn fast.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Dual pivot side pull brakes! The suspension forks that work w/ 1" headsets are mostly low quality, almost all are springers (i.e. no dampening) but will provide some improved comfort.

Last edited:

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Just finished my Cranbrook and added a side-pull brake to the front. Thanks to Frank at BikePros in Seminole FL for his incredible parts buckets! Found an old long-reach DiaComp, cleaned it, lubed it, and put new pads in. Even reaches over & around the stock front fender. That plus my coaster brake gets me stopped comfortably...but I'm no speed demon. Can't comment on anything faster than about 20 mph.

Doc