68 spokes

GoldenMotor.com

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Maybe, but probably not. Math is the key here. 9 hole sprocket into a 68 spoke wheel??? 7.5
Whereas, same 9 hole into a 36 spoke = 4. Every 4th spoke, a bolt. You would just have to try and
fanagle it or redrill some holes. Better to stay with the "known quantity".

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
the stock 9 hole bolt pattern will not work! I have 68 spokes on my cruiser and I went to a 36t sprocket ( made my own). I instead drilled 8 holes so I can tighten it down easier, However before I drilled my holes I put the sprocket to the wheel and marked in between the spokes where I wanted a bolt, and tried to keep it symetrical 8 bolt. then I had to make the plates and rag joints for the sprocket. took some time but it works!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
what will i get into mounting a kit sprocket to a 68 spoke wheel , will it fit with a bit of work
drn2
Wayne is right, math is the thing here since 68 is devisable by nothing as far as a hole pattern. I machined an adaptor to work but it was really time consuming, and you can see by the picture I still had to actually bend a couple spokes to clear the bolt pattern.
The old 36 spoke wheel is the best way to go although I will admit the 68's and 72's are pretty cool looking.

John

Attachments

swdave

Mar 21, 2009
south west michigan
Thanks for info thats what i thought got the bike today for a winter build so i have time i will keep you all updated. its a streach its fun to ride when i pedal cant wait till i get motor on it
drn2

daviddabikeist

Jul 11, 2009
australia
word of advice if you dont know what ur doing wen mounting of starting or welding i advise dont try to put a motor on it if u cant afford a new bike ahem me then i wouldnt recomend building it cuz if u stuf up no more bike.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

No one mentioned welding which admittedly requires practice - but as for mounting an engine to your bike...

We've about 14,000 members that would argue with you about that lol

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI All,

68 spokes should not be a problem....Just need to see one once...

FWIW we can make adapters for most any wheel....

Here are some pics of a Super Sprocket we made for a 140 spoke wheel! (we have the pattern on file so we can make them as needed).

We can make sprockets two different ways...

One sprocket will mount to hub (if your hub is a high flange) but you will have to drill holes in the hub...This provides a solid mount....IF you can find a disc brake hub with enough spoke holes you can mount the sprocket directly to the rotor location itself or with a Top Hat Sprocket Adapter.

The other sprocket (one that looks like a hollow ring) is clamped to the spokes with a machined backer plate (can hard mount to clamp spokes or possibly use rubber like the factory kit (rubber not included).

NOTE: The first sprocket would probably work the best BUT we can close up the center on the sprocket that looks like a "ring" BUT The customer liked the "openness" of the sprocket... On the other hand we could have added lightening holes to the solid sprocket BUT the customer wanted it without them....

Hope this helps...

Andrew

PS - After working with this wheel for awhile a 36 spoke wheel looks like it is too fragile to work!! HA

Attachments

Last edited:

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Hi guys,
Here is the sprocket from Pirate Cycles that works with the 68 spoke Micargi wheel. This sprocket acts as your dustcover and connects directly to the flange of the hub. The allen fastners used for connection are countersunk flush to the sprocket, therefore the brake arm needs no modifications at all, "nice". Nylock mounting hardware is included. I have a quantity order in that is due to arrive before Christmas. We will update our site upon arrival.

IMG00116-20091028-1836.jpg IMG00118-20091028-1836.jpg IMG00119-20091028-1837.jpg IMG00113-20091028-1835.jpg
Thanks,
Justin