So you think your motor bike is fast?

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Somebody just posted a 65 mph run checked by radar on a little China Girl this week, and the same builder gets faster every couple weeks

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just a matter of time before someone dies doing this, very sad but the same thing happened when man was learning to fly, climb the tallest mountains and being the fastest in an automobile.

Difference is no one tried to outlaw airplanes, climbing tall mountains or fast cars, we may not be so lucky with our bikes when the poop hits the fan over a tragic high speed motorized bicycle death.

people better stop doing all this 60mph stuff on the public streets and find an old airstrip or somewhere out of the medias big fat if it bleeds it leads eye, because they will run it in the ground the first time there is a serious accident and a death on one of these 60+mph bicycles.

I Like to cruise at 40+mph on the rural roads around here where I live and I like speed as much as anyone, but some of these guys are just doing it in the wrong places and its gonna bite a bunch of people in the butt sooner or later because we live in a world here in America now that media will turn every little thing into as big of an issue as they possibly can, that gets many people who really don't understand any of it all up in the air and calling for laws and rules against whatever it is that they have now become scared of because of the picture the media painted of it and then, lawyers and the local or state law makers get involved because of the outcry of a hand full of influential people and the media and they figure the best way to resolve the problem is just to spank the entire class and take away their lunch money because of what the one senseless moron did in the back of the class.

All it will take is the right thing to happen at the right time in the right place and our motorized bicycle hobby will be under fire in a bad way and we'll be seen as a threat to public safety and as rebels and law breakers who are somehow cheating by having this unregulated, untaxed somewhat free transportation that is just to dangerous to be allowed on public streets and highways.

God forbid anyone dies enjoying this great hobby, but with the speeds some of these guys are doing now without wearing any protective gear and at least a brain bucket, someone is gonna die and someone is gonna make a huge deal of it.

Just felt like throwing my $0.02 in here on the crazy high speed street riding without protective gear of some kind.

Peace, and lets be wise and ride safe the best we can my brothers and sisters.

Map

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yup! Mapbike said it really well.

I'll quibble on one thing, though. I'm going by memory here. So I might have details wrong.

But in 1910 Orville Wright crashed an airplane in Washington, DC. He was demonstrating it for the military. Orville was wracked up pretty good. His passenger was killed. And there was an outcry demanding legislation outlawing these dangerous machines. But cooler heads could see the obvious uses of powered air flight. (Though I believe the military was unimpressed on that particular day. It took 'em a while to come around.) So no such silly laws were passed.

But even that might not be all that helpful to us since hardly anyone in the mainstream is really impressed with these bikes. Too many of them consider us a nuisance. So maybe we'd better be more careful than the early aeronauts needed to be.

I certainly like the idea of this forum as a welcoming place. Yet I take a very dim view of those who ride at excessive speed.

I could even go so far as to propose that this forum develop the consensus that excessive speed, on public roads anyway, is very, very bad form.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'll have to concure with Blue on this. I think it's a far stretch to compare our bikes with airplanes or race cars or anything where folks in the past pushed the envelope to attain speed, endurance or marketability.

To the majority out there we are a nuisance and loud pipes, unsafe riding and excess speed is eventually going to put us in an unwelcome spotlight. When that happens our bikes could go the way of the go-ped or the 3 wheel ATVs. Outlawed in every state and locality.

There's a lot of hand wringing about the 2 stroke going away but nobody seems to worry about what the guys who are pushing bicycles where they were never meant to go (on the streets). Unwanted attention is going to be focused on us and that small minority is going to be responsible. If there is any real threat to our hobby, they're it.
Just my opinion.

Not getting down on you, Fly, for posting those links. They just had a way of encouraging discussion. Sorry.

Tom

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Kind of funny. 5 years before the air plane Orville and Wilbur along with Glenn Curtiss ( Hercules bicycles)
were busy strapping engines on bicycles.
Gotta love history... And Glenn Curtiss , My hero....

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I dont think where people ride casually and safely is that big of an issue as far as neighborhoods in most places are concerned.

I just think the racing on the streets at the high speeds some are doing it may not even create that much of a big deal in areas where the bikes are considered legal to ride on public roads.

where I think the problem will developed is when someone dies doing it, I wasnt comparing our bikes to airplanes or cars in the earlier post, I was making the point that even though they are actually more dangerous than our bikes, people see them differently when in fact for those who use their bike for primary and possibly the only transportation they have the motorized bike is just as important to them as a car is to the rest of us and they would be put into more hardship if they lost their primary means of transportation.

I love it that people are being creative and making fast motorized bicycles, I like doing all the simple moods for better power and speed myself, but these guys running up and down city streets at 60mph is gonna get someone killed and thats when the problem could start.

I dont think noise in the neighborhoods is that big of an issue in most places either, people ride loud motorcycles all over the place and only the grumpy old sticks in the mud have an issue with that when most people actually like the sound.

It kinda depends on what part of the country someone lives in also, I can only speak for my area and how most people are around here, for the most part small town Texas just leaves people along unless they're actually threatening public safety or private property, I know laws and people are different in other areas and I cant speak for that since I dont live in a place that gets testy about loud vehicles and people having a good time, honestly not to say this in a bad way at all but we're a little different about some of these things down here in the far south and thats just how it is.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Count me in as a stick-in-the-mud! :)

I despise loud motorcycles. They hurt my ears.

I don't say it much and I don't agitate for more laws or law enforcement. I, genuinely, figure that law enforcement types have better things to do. I don't want them wasting time and resources trying to keep the tide from coming in. So I just regard loud bikes as something to be lived with.

But I had to say it because it was just such a good opportunity for a good rant.

The world would be a nicer place if the engines were teeny-tiny things that went 'putt-putt'.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Count me in as a stick-in-the-mud! :)

I despise loud motorcycles. They hurt my ears.

I don't say it much and I don't agitate for more laws or law enforcement. I, genuinely, figure that law enforcement types have better things to do. I don't want them wasting time and resources trying to keep the tide from coming in. So I just regard loud bikes as something to be lived with.

But I had to say it because it was just such a good opportunity for a good rant.

The world would be a nicer place if the engines were teeny-tiny things that went 'putt-putt'.
lol.....(^)

if I lived in a town I might be a stick in the mud also since I sleep during the day and work all night.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
if ya sleep during the day, when do you have time to ride your motorbike lol? :)
I dont work everyday, 2 on 3 off 3 on 2 off 12 hour shifts and I actually only work two weeks out of the month so I actually have quite a bit of time off to ride and tinker with my 5 bikes.

This time of year when its cold out I dont ride that much, I instead spend most of my time in the shop working on engines and getting a bike or two ready for warmer riding weather.

I live several miles from the nearest town so I enjoy lots of peace and quiet accept when my wife yells at me....lol!!!

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I dont work everyday, 2 on 3 off 3 on 2 off 12 hour shifts and I actually only work two weeks out of the month so I actually have quite a bit of time off to ride and tinker with my 5 bikes.

This time of year when its cold out I dont ride that much, I instead spend most of my time in the shop working on engines and getting a bike or two ready for warmer riding weather.

I live several miles from the nearest town so I enjoy lots of peace and quiet accept when my wife yells at me....lol!!!
ridin country roads, eh? where you live? I bet it's nice to just ride and not see anyone around for a while

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
ridin country roads, eh? where you live? I bet it's nice to just ride and not see anyone around for a while
I live roughly 45 miles from the exact geographical dead center of Texas, my ride to my job and back is 32 miles, I dont do that very often but just a trip to town and a little running around while Im there will normally rack up 30-40 miles on the bike.

if Im in a pinch for time i either drive my truck or hop on the Harley if I dont have to haul anything home.

yes I do most of my bike riding by myself on the back country roads around out here where I live, if I go east i have 2 miles of dirt road before I hit and if I go west its 3 miles of dirt road, coleche base roads are very dusty and fairly rough so my bikes are always dusty dirty machines but thats just part of living out in the sticks like the wife and I do.