The day of the two stroke.

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I spent a week at the Tulsa boat show. I help my friend with boat &
RV shows in the winter in his booth. I have noticed the decline of
two stroke outboards coming for some time.

But being this is a huge show in the Midwest, there was lots to see.
Out of all the outboard water craft there I saw (four) two strokes. It
just so happened Forrest Woods the founder of Ranger bass boats
was there & I had the pleasure of sitting & talking about this for some
time.

I ask him if the EPA was fazing them out. He said deftly yes. Merc & OMC
still have the direct fuel injection & have only retained them for you bass boat
guys for the present time but that's not going to last. Already look at the
motorcycles industry & find a twostroke being made. He went on to say
many lakes in the west will not allow two strokes on there lakes.

I said I hate hearing that & he agreed. He said you can't fight the liberal's
& the EPA on there global warming agenda.

Flyusflg

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Politics: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2

I spent a week at the Tulsa boat show. I help my friend with boat &
RV shows in the winter in his booth. I have noticed the decline of
two stroke outboards coming for some time.

But being this is a huge show in the Midwest, there was lots to see.
Out of all the outboard water craft there I saw (four) two strokes. It
just so happened Forrest Woods the founder of Ranger bass boats
was there & I had the pleasure of sitting & talking about this for some
time.

I ask him if the EPA was fazing them out. He said deftly yes. Merc & OMC
still have the direct fuel injection & have only retained them for you bass boat
guys for the present time but that's not going to last. Already look at the
motorcycles industry & find a twostroke being made. He went on to say
many lakes in the west will not allow two strokes on there lakes.

Political agendas aside this is a far more complex topic then just EPA freshwater regulations or even pollution/emissions for that matter - for example while two strokes are generally considered to have a better power to weight ratio & an admirable simplicity, they are also usually grossly inefficient in fuel consumption when compared to an equivalent four stroke. If considered part of an engine's overall capabilities this can present a distinct disadvantage in preformance. Add in the generally accepted reliability differences between the two and we can begin to see some of the underlying aspects behind the switch aside from just the popular news & sales hype.

Two and four stroke engines are usually offered by the same manufacturer, the manufacturers themselves don't particularly care which you buy, as long as you buy. Given the above and the fact that overall two and four stroke preformance capabilities are growing ever closer, it's really no surprise that fours are growing in popularity, even aside from the what regulations there may be to protect our fresh water systems.

We don't use whale oil for fuel anymore despite the fact it's organic - why? It's not particularly efficient and we're running out of whale so it's really expensive. The fact it's a greasy mess that burns dirty has little to do with it as if it wasn't for the other two factors, we'd still be using it ;)

Last edited:

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I can see you are not well informed of Direct fuel injection. The fuel is injected
into the head much like a diesel engine. Merc & OMC have been using it for
the last 6 years. It meets any EPA emission rating out there. No fuel is wasted out the exhaust
& is burned completely because it is injected only at just before TDC & never see a open exhaust port as in other
two strokes.
It has cut my MPG in haft on my bass boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVeqix2Yc4

Fly

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I can see you are not well informed of Direct fuel injection. The fuel is injected
into the head much like a diesel engine. Merc & OMC have been using it for
the last 6 years. It meets any EPA emission rating out there. No fuel is wasted out the exhaust
& is burned completely because it is injected only at just before TDC & never see a open exhaust port as in other
two strokes.
It has cut my MPG in haft on my bass boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVeqix2Yc4

Fly
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=593521&postcount=22 &
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=593727&postcount=28

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
May I ask what this has to do with any thing in this post? I simply repeated what one
of the biggest GIANTs in the bass boated industry told me. Now your bringing up
oil ratios from another post that was put to bed long ago. But you know more about everything,
for I have read your post, so no point in discussing any thing with you.

And now you bring up 200 to 1 ratios for engines at idle. Dude you just like to argue
& I,m not going to be drawn in to your game.

You need to keep your expertise to Bicycle engines. Geeezzzzzzzzzzz!
Fly

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A conversation in a thread you'd created where the two stroke Yamaha Z300 HPDI (High Pressure Direct Injection) VMAX series outboard's design, specifications even fuel consumption & service manual were discussed has quite a bit to do with what was quoted.

I also made a point to claim no expertise, rather linking source specifications from the manufacturer to support my assertions so they may be examined, discussed & even refuted if I referenced in error.

If an assertion is made that someone disagrees with, discussing it is simply a debate. If being disagreed with can't be tolerated it isn't a discussion but an argument. If any disagreement at all can't even be considered it's neither an argument or debate but simply a proclamation.

Forums are for discussion, which is why folks have the ability to post a reply.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's a pleasant thought for me this total demise of 2 stroke engines. Less stink, less pollution and less noise. The advent of small 4 strokes for gardening tools is their tombstone on the mass consumer market.

May their stick forever rest in peace - :)