The Pocket Bike Engine and Your Opinion...

GoldenMotor.com

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I agree with Uncle, the lawn equipment look would have to go. Maybe a kit to replace the rope start and covers to make the motor prettier would be the catalyst to popularity with these babies. Other than appearance, these motors are a great source of alternate power.

Hmmm, I'm getting a powerful itch to put my spare Puch E-50 on a sturdy frame...a Schwinn made in Chicago perhaps.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree with Uncle, the lawn equipment look would have to go. Maybe a kit to replace the rope start and covers to make the motor prettier would be the catalyst to popularity with these babies. Other than appearance, these motors are a great source of alternate power.

Hmmm, I'm getting a powerful itch to put my spare Puch E-50 on a sturdy frame...a Schwinn made in Chicago perhaps.
You and Uncle are so right! Ascetics are half the battle. What I see as the 2 big wholly grails of this is width of motor and then the gearing down. Frame mounts are sexy. 5 inch stock, 9 4stroke wide?

It has been on "the 2do list" for a good while to make an appointment with S.C.O.R.E and get some advice on how to get an American small engine manufacture er (sp) to give me a price on converting a stock engine to our needs. Need a kick in the butt some times. But I will call tomorrow.

It would not be hard to produce, just the dang 18 to 1 gearing. Stock gear boxes run in several hundred$s.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Maybe a stupid question,why would you have to gear it down? What would happen if you used a centrifigal clutch and a chain to the wheel?
You would not have a low end torque. It would be like a car always in 4th or
5th gear. The idea here is to have pocket bike engine to have workable torque either to drive directly to the wheels or to the gears on the rear hub . :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Maybe a stupid question,why would you have to gear it down? What would happen if you used a centrifigal clutch and a chain to the wheel?
Not at all a dumb question. Say your motor turned at 3600 RPM. (7000 for a GX50) from a 12 toothed centrifugal clutch to a 44T stock rear sprocket. It would = 75.9 MPH in therory. 3.70:1 gear reduction would just not work.

Most small engines turn at 3600 RPM. So if you want say 30 MPH, you would have to reduce around 18 to 1, or so Each time the motor sprocket turns 18 times, you want the rear wheel and sprocket to turn once. It is a very good question. I am just learning this my self and is really amazing stuff. Osccully gave me a great calculator that I can't find for you, but will.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia

DAVID02895

Nov 14, 2008
Rhode Island
I had a gokart when I was a kid with a 8hp motor and it was quite fast and had good torque.It was just a chain from the motor to the axle.So it is fine if you get the right size sproket on the back wheel?Thanks for the replies.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
go to youtube and in the search put in "motorized bicycle with cvt drive eton 41.5".. this guy has built one. i reallly like it. its a little bulky but seems to be pretty simple. see if ya'll can figure out where we can get our hands on these engines. i want one .

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
wholly shizzit! 83 KMs = 51 MPH! and sounded great! The Aussies are beatin' us!

Jesster, do I see your hand in this?

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
that's nice...Collaboration with the pocket bike experts... Hope we can get some really good advise... :)

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Ted, I wanted to argue with ya but your right. Was down hill. OK, I got next round bud.

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Do y'all use those gizmos that generate while braking? I guess with one of those you could go forever if it was downhill all the way.

Seriously though, :oops: those uh, what is it, a super charge controller that reverses and charges using the motor for dynamic braking? That would probably only help in city stop and go but every little bit helps. Solar panels are getting smaller and smaller, too. Not much current but, again, every little bit.

Is ICE a gas engine/alternator to battery to motor drive? Do you use a fairing on your bike? The other aero stuff?

Has anyone down there tried making their own wheel motors/alternators using (if you can get enough) rare earth magnets scavenged from dead computer hard disks?

Dang I'm out of coffee.

Ted