Frame Jig on the cheap

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Good idea with the engine stand so you can spin it, but i cant imagine how youd do it and be strong enough..... could you post a picture?

CCC, how has this jig held up and have you changed it any?

I want to start building my own frames too.
Harry

The jig works good, for something I made out of left over material you can't beat it. It folds up nice and can be stored with ease. If you do some research, jigs are not cheap...the bottom line this one works.

Give it a shot...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks CCC.... i did make a wooden jig when i stretched my Indian build frame but id like to start making frames for myself so a metal jig would be a good investment.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Good idea with the engine stand so you can spin it, but i cant imagine how youd do it and be strong enough..... could you post a picture?

Here we go. Took a few minutes to find this picture. Man, the bike frame design has changed, but the frame jig is tried and true. Rotates at the bottom bracket. I had a few engine stands around and cut them all up. This one supports my frame jig and the others are now build stands so I don't have to bend over all the time. Besides, space is always at a premium so now I can roll things out of my way.

Sportsman 200 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the pic Sportscarpat. I love the jig, and the bike and the clean workshop. The floor in my house isnt that clean.

I can now see why you do such phenomonal work, i guess you dont do much without first having a very thought out plan.... i could learn a lot

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I think you should build a super long 'ground dragger' stretch cruiser!
Venice an I think alike .
nice jig the one I am working on is very similar , the only concern I have is with heat as it can tourqe the tubes as you weld , I am probably going to make my L brackets out of some heavy 1/4 inch .

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Jeff, thanks for sending the link for this, I made my jig a copy of yours and am very pleased with it. I will post pics this evening Its a great jig for less then 100 bucks

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
I added some more pictures to show the material I used to make the jig. The metal is uni-strut, as you can see I am able to move my setups within the track system by loosening one bolt that is connected within the track with a spring nut. My alignment is all taken off the main piece of strut. I have set-up the rear drop out as a mock up. One of the pictures shows how it can fold up and may be leaned against a wall for storage. I now have it on a table so I can work on it with ease. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I looked into Uni-strut and they have an office closeby. I Would like to build my own but need a few answers if you have the time. How much material and what size uni-strut did you use? Rough estimate would be great. Or if you have plans would love to have a copy. Thanks for you time and sharing this great Jig

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Purchase 10 feet of 3/4" and 10 feet of 1 1/2" uni-strut channel, that should be enough. You are going to need a bunch of sprig nuts and bolts with washers, 3/8" and some "L" brackets. If you can use a chop saw all the cuts will turn out real clean after you de-bur them.

http://www.plccenter.com/Shop/UNIST...ogleShopping&gclid=CM6GkKG8iLMCFQ7hQgodYzQALA

The best place to find the right stuff is an Electrical Whole-sale house.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
BIG BUMP, on your thread Culver all the way to the Chop Shop, Fabrication & Painting Forum Section. Well this thread is related to Welding and Chopping our frames, and what better way to weld / build them than using your bicycle frame jig.

I get so much more satisfaction building my own stuff. like the frame i'm building now with full suspension. I wouldnt be into this hobby if it were just about slapping a kit in a beach cruiser.
Ditto, flybytaco can't help myself I'm always torching, cutting, ginding and welding my own frames.

Hey Taco send me a PM and I will help you get this together...If you need so i can set you up with a contact thats local to you.
Culvercityclassic, PM sent to you.

Purchase 10 feet of 3/4" and 10 feet of 1 1/2" uni-strut channel, that should be enough. You are going to need a bunch of sprig nuts and bolts with washers, 3/8" and some "L" brackets. If you can use a chop saw all the cuts will turn out real clean after you de-bur them.

Culver, please could please tell us if you've upgraded or modified your inexpensive bicycle frame jig.

Any revised list of parts since your last post here Culver?

http://www.plccenter.com/Shop/UNIST...ogleShopping&gclid=CM6GkKG8iLMCFQ7hQgodYzQALA

The best place to find the right stuff is an Electrical Whole-sale house.
Thanks,
Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The jig is still being used. You will be happy after you make it, frame building made easy. The other item that works well is a tubing notcher...a must if you are building frames.

Glad I could help,
Jeff