What bike to get?

GoldenMotor.com

Austinpetemo

Dec 26, 2011
Corpus Christi
Im looking to possibly do a 4-stroke build, Id like to go faster than a little 49cc 2 stroke will take me. But before i go for a big engine, id like to get a bike thats more than capable of supporting the engine, me and anything that I throw in my cargo rack. (Ive got a nice cargo rack on my dying road bike). Id say that I have a $200 limit (broke college student) for the bike itself. Any suggerstions?

I really like the schwinn point beach 26 but idk if that would be able to hold up to the speeds I HOPE to achieve lol.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Newer beach cruisers can be brittle, even the steel ones. Look for a steel beach cruiser made before 2000, IMHO.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Look at the Worksman Classic Cruiser - Base Model $319.00 I know this is a little more than the said $200 but it is an industrial grade bicycle meant to withstand the abuse of a factory setting. Seen them last years in factories that nothing last in.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
A Worksman cruiser will not house a 4 stroke without modifying the frame, they are tight even for a 2 stroke. I say look for a mid-century cruiser: schwinn, roadmaster, columbia, ect ... Or even a mountain bike from the 1990's

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Good info F Rod, Especially since I have been seriously considering a workman from my next build and I would like a 4 Stroke. Also considering a felt cruiser probably a 1903. Any take on that? I want something usable with a descent vintage look.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Any ol baloon tire bike will last quite along time in a speed situation, you just need to make a calipe bae mount like I did. Just check the brazes when you pick it up ad find a spare fender so you can cut out the space for the chain.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
If your budget doesn't matter then any Felt cruiser is a good choice for a MB. Felt's have lots of room to house either a 2 smoker or a 4 stroke. If you do the in-frame gas tank modification then it should look bad asss. The only thing that I don't like about Felt cruiser is they don't come with a front brake setup. If you don't mind pull-caliper style brakes and changing out pads a lot then it's not an issue. However, if your like myself and other members then your gonna want a front drum or disc brake system; and that can get expensive depending on how you go about it.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Thanks Felt it is! NOW i just need the $. The disc isn't much of an issue since I'm a avid mountain biker and I probably have 3 or 4 pairs of disc brakes laying around at any given time, as is the same for wheels. I may have to spend a little dough on the welding on some brake mounts, But thats minimal after you spend $500 on the bike and a good $400 on the motor kit. Might take up someone on the offer to buy the current ride in favor of buying a new one, but its so hard to say good bye to these things!

God Speed, Mark

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
HEY JUST CROSSED OVER TO "Senior Member" Status! So do I get a T-shirt or something? No!....Just the love and admiration of all newbies until they realize it means that I talk too much! I can stand that.
dnutbrnotdance1.mbv.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks Felt it is! NOW i just need the $. The disc isn't much of an issue since I'm a avid mountain biker and I probably have 3 or 4 pairs of disc brakes laying around at any given time, as is the same for wheels. I may have to spend a little dough on the welding on some brake mounts, But thats minimal after you spend $500 on the bike and a good $400 on the motor kit. Might take up someone on the offer to buy the current ride in favor of buying a new one, but its so hard to say good bye to these things!

God Speed, Mark
Most Felts come with 50mm wide front and rear wheels. You'll need a "high-flange disc hub" to be laced up to the felt rims and spokes; or you can just use the Mt. bike wheel if you don't care about the wheels matching. Also, take into consideration that Felts have a 1 1/8'' steerer stem, so you can swap out the forks if you wanted to. The Felt 1903 has a springer front end so to run a disc you'll need this Springer disc-brake adapter, that way you don't have to weld. Hope this little bit of info helps (^).

Austinpetemo

Dec 26, 2011
Corpus Christi
This is a little different, but is a 1979 schwinn traveller 3 any good? Its in good shape, its a road bike, but could i get goin pretty fast with maybe a 99cc 4 stroke or a 66 cc 2stroke?