hard to get chain and motor to spin!?

GoldenMotor.com

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
hi i got a 66cc motor kit and have installed everything the way i was supposed to, but for some reason reguardless of what position the clutch is in i cant ride it, gears just seem to not want to turn to pull the chain and cant figure out why. i mean i can turn it but its like trying to loosen a bolt that is really tight... and it doesnt matter if i have the clutch engaged or disengaged, it acts the same..somebody please tell me this is a simple fix any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tighten your clutch cable. You want little to no slack in it. The cable stop on the end of the cable needs to be moved so the cable is snug when the handlebar lever is in the neutral, or unsqueezed position.
Do Not start adjusting the flower nut on the right side no matter what anyone tells you.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the clutch cable is too loose then the clutch is engaged and you're trying to turn the engine against compression. Try pushing the clutch actuator arm in by hand. It won't be easy, there's more spring inside than most new builders think, but you can force the lever inward. With the lever all the way in against the stop the drive sprocket should turn. Some new engines will be stiff at first and some have stuck clutch pads. If you still can't rotate the sprocket with the lever all the way in get back to us. There are things you can do to free up a stuck clutch.
Tom

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
ok well i just went out and pushed the arm in and used needle nose pliers to pull more cable out and locked it back in place, took up some slack and feels a little tighter, tomorrow i will try that and see if it fixes it

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
ok got up this morning and still no go, reguardless of what position the clutch is in it is still acting really stiff.. even pushed the clutch arm in my hand and pushed really hard while trying to spin the rear wheel, just not wanting to turn without force, thing is when the plate was off while putting the chain on it turned fine while we used the spark plug tool to put the chain on..