Motorized bicycles for disaster recovery

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Ever have an idea you just can't keep too yourself? Well that's what this is...
On a recient trip to joplin ,I kept wishing I had one of my bikes with.
More then just ripping down all those great country roads, but because some parts of town are still impassable to reg. Cars and trucks. Then after talking to the locals I began to understand that trafic took almost a month to start rooling again. Every type of service one can imagine ,works on getting people into areas that aren't accessable . From the police ,insurance adj, and doctors. Just to name a few.
Then the idea of a shipping crate full of mb's came to mind. They don't need to be fancy or expensive just workable and ready to respond.
Now I already have thought of most all of the negative things involved with this idea (and there are a few) so I would like your opnion (pro or con ) .

The basic idea is to have four or five spots nation wide were local volunteers (you) working from a donation budget assemble and pack a iso crate that can be delivered to any reagion hit by trouble.

If you havent seen it in person ,no news video or pics can really give you an idea of how bad the storm was ! And getting single people into areas hard hit after the first responders have moved on is the goal. So many of the locals lost there own vec. They have no way to even haul water!
This does not have to be an overley complex idea, just a way to get people who now have to walk from the edge of the area in to do there job.

So before I get to rambling please take a min a let me know what you think. If you feel as I do and would voluenteer please note that in your reply.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Re: Mb's for disaster recovery

Good thinking P,

basic transport certainly has a valid use in our time.
...have a google at 'cargo bikes', too...

Best
rc

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

That is an interesting concept. I have a Jeep Liberty 4X4 set up for off road use: larger tires, lower gears, skid plates covering everything underneath, 8K pound winch and the rear deck extends to the front seat. No back seat! It is flat up to the back of the front seats. I can haul a LOT of stuff in there. I have pulled fallen trees off the highway and trails with that winch. I get really bad mileage but it does what it is supposed to do!

Terry

PS: post more info please.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

It's a very good idea. After being in something about as bad and living 2-300 yards from direct damage path of tuscaloosa tornado it made me get an engine kit. Only after that I made a MB. I ran out of gas in my truck for the first time then. People this is serious and I approve of Op's idea.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

I was thinking of some real basic jobs that can be done by bike ,haul water, basic supplys,comunication equipment , medical supplys, all that paper work you need .
Theres gota be a hundred more...not to mention just getting to and from work and public meetings,church ,etc.
For some time now my club has been working on a simple bike powered can krusher,there may be ways of useing bike power to do stuff we havent even considered yet?
Farmers have been using power take off systems for years.
A simple interchangeable panieer system on a rear rack would let each bike do multiple jobs within the same day and keep the ammount of equipment needed per container down.
The other thing we had talked about in joplin was how much easier it was to clear paths for a bike vs a car or truck . Many roads are only blocked at one end ,making it very easy to carry a bike a few meters then ride again into outlying areas. It's these types of areas were kids and the elderly who may not have even been in the path of the storm are cutoff from services like doctors or the mail man or whatever.
Clearly ther is plenty of logistics to cover here but planing is cheap and relativly easy overall.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Really great idea Dawgs.

I would gladly volunteer for some thing like that.

Great need for some thing like that. Just had a hurricane here and folks are still with out power in some places. But the day after was beautiful with a lot of roads still blocked. My cell and home land line phone were out. Water and emergency radios delivered to a sort of block watch volunteer? Dunno but really great thinking.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

After giving this idea some thought, I think that keeping it as simple as possible would be best and lend itself to be more reliable/ utilitarian.
Use a 4-stroke engine. Gas is easier to get than pre-mix, and simpler too as there is no mixing what so ever.
For this idea I am stuck on the GEBE drive system. It will fit on nearly any bike with 24" wheels or larger, there is no chain to break or maintain, it can be installed very quickly to another bike of necessary. The cost is somewhat prohibitive, but we are talking about potentially saving lives here. Cannot put a cost on that!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Augie did well with his GEBE, yet Deacon's WW FD is probably the simplest method to power a bike. a 2smoke remains simpler, lighter, and more powerful for it's size than a 4stroke. 30wt motor oil will do for the mix. IMO
rc

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Let me also add, On April 27th after the tornado came threw I instantly went to check my friends house and two of the three exits were blocked my trees. ChainSaws were one of the most critical things. There were people out with fourwheelers an chainsaws but o remember that is one thin alot of people need when trees are down in towns.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Friction drives are definitely the simplest, but when the ground is wet (rain from tornados, hurricanes, flooding, the common causes of disasters these days) they slip alot.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

Friction drives are definitely the simplest, but when the ground is wet (rain from tornados, hurricanes, flooding, the common causes of disasters these days) they slip alot.
Not to mention the likely chance of mud! Mud + Friction Drive = No Traction!

Terry

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

Deff need some type of generator set up . Could prob build it into the rack and then swing it down into gen mode when you got to location . Would be great for charging cordless drill batt. And cell phone batt.

Wayne thanx ,as samuel clements said "I have never let my lack of schooling interfere with my education"