Hand grip removal- What's your method?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My best to date method for removing the grips is with a pair of pliers.
Of course it ruins them. I have also used a punch and hammer and that is waaay less destructive, but still a little harsh on the vintage grips and some of the softer ones.

My best to date method without destroying them is to pry up the edge, (careful there with the screwdriver) shoot some windex in there and give them a couple of twists. After working them for a few seconds, they will slide off like magic.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A long skinny screwdriver, a squirt of WD-40 and some compressed air into the opposite grip. They'll pop right off. The compressed air makes it easier but it's not necessary. (oh, and don't aim the grip you're removing at anything. They tend to come off with some force)
Tom

i-paint

May 24, 2008
My best to date method for removing the grips is with a pair of pliers.
Of course it ruins them. I have also used a punch and hammer and that is waaay less destructive, but still a little harsh on the vintage grips and some of the softer ones.

My best to date method without destroying them is to pry up the edge, (careful there with the screwdriver) shoot some windex in there and give them a couple of twists. After working them for a few seconds, they will slide off like magic.
Hold ur finger over the hole in one grip, blow air in the other grip with an air hose and it will come right off. Sometimes you have to plug the holes with a screw or your friends fingers etc. and stick your air nozzle under the edge of the grip, blow air under it and again it will slide right off.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Utility knife, pliers, crescent... LOL! I-paint appears to be the only one here with a clue! Go to a bike shop some day and see.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
compressed air with a few a drops of penetrating oil, maybe piece a wire.

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Yesterday I had to take grips off 3 bikes (6 grips). Took less than 2 minutes. No oil or screwdriver. Plug one hole and compressed air in the other. Pop... Then hold your hand over the tube and blow in the remaining grip. Pop...

I've probably done couple hundred by now.

saulsvilleb

Sep 2, 2009
WVa
if you use wd-40 you will have time getting them to stick when you put them back on, if I dont have air I use hair spray to remove and to glue them back on

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
if you use wd-40 you will have time getting them to stick when you put them back on, if I dont have air I use hair spray to remove and to glue them back on
Not true. The WD-40 will not keep the grips from holding when you reinstall them. I've done numerous sets of grips. In fact it makes reinstallation easier and holds the grips tight afterwards.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you don't have compressed air, pry 'em up with a screwdriver, shoot in some WD40, and twist them off.

to put them on, clear lacquer or carb cleaner works great, so does hairspray.

don't forget to put a nickel in each grip before re-installing. keeps the bar-ends from cutting them.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have always used compressed air to yake them off as several others have said. To install spray hairspray in the grip and slide it on, needs about 8 hrs to dry. It will slide right off if you don't give it time to dry. Even works on those long foam bar covers that you see on some road bikes, the hair spray that is. On ones you dont want to save use a knife.
Elmo

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
elmo. if it takes 8 hours for your hairspray to dry your putting way way way too much on. i use just a light misting and my grips are locked in ten minutes or less. i BMX also so i cant have my grips twisting, and im very impatient. 8 hour wait to ride, i think not.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Utility knife, pliers, crescent... LOL! I-paint appears to be the only one here with a clue! Go to a bike shop some day and see.

This for all you foolios to go out & try right now!!
This is the easiest way on earth to take a grip off!!!! No comrpessed air, no WD40, no water & screw driver or spokes........ just a wrench & a hammer & it's off in 3 hits!!!!!!!
This works on 90% of all grips out there; the only grips it won't work on are super soft (super sticky) rubber grips...

Seriously!!! go out to any bike right now & try this!!!

(& if you can't remove it in 3 hits; you're hitting it like a girl!!) :D

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
(& if you can't remove it in 3 hits; you're hitting it like a girl!!) :D
Get a bigger hammer and I'll bet it'll only take two. :D

If you do have one that's stuck and you don't want to ruin it the strap wrenches for removing oil filters works to free them without marking them up.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Hose removal pliers - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com Works the same way as a mechanic they served me well. Couldn't recommend this on bike grips you'll scratch the handle bars. On say a heater core at the fire wall you just can't use a pry bar. Same principle as the crescent and hammer. LOL..

I have used water lotion anything just pry it up with a thin screw driver work the lube in will slide right too. Even saw the air trick as well.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Venice- Hitting a cresent wrench with a hammer?!? Shame on you!!!! Where did you go to school? ;)

I have used a similar method by using a flat end punch and tapping it about 3-4 times around the edge and they come off quick too.