Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
This is one of my most prefered designs, for a few years!
Especially suspension of wheels on both sides, and steering - all of that without welding! Could be redesigned for adults, even for two persons?
...even made of plywood as monocoque box?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Not attractive, but this one can be built sans welding or woodwork. The site at the link has good pics. I found this while researching a response to a post asking how to add bicycle wheels to a go-kart.
http://www.spiller.si/pedalcar/en/index.htm
I researched this one. It would make an okay beginner velocar. But I remember having misgivings about it. Aesthetics aside, I recall that I'd want to invest in a crapload of locknuts. Because who wants to check all over the place for loose nuts among what looks like a hundred of them there. I also noticed that there's no caster, no camber, and I can't tell if toe-in or Ackerman angle have been accounted for. But they may not matter so much on something as light and low-speed as this.
Still, there are ideas here.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I really like that black trike too, IW. I would probably build a shorter, single seat version and carry cargo ahead of the back wheels, beside the rider. Maneuverability would be more beneficial to me than the stability of the longer wheelbase.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
This is a design that very much appeals to me (black trike).... The other trike with people aboard is a similar design, but not the same. I'm not so keen on it because it seems to be too low profile to be safe in traffic.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello IWW,
Such designs attracted my attention, as possibly simplest way to have two-person velocar: delta-trike with driver only pedaling and passenger seating behind him... Not too wide, not too long (maybe some 2 feet more then regular bicycle?) and quite stable. Height depends on design, but could be higher without too much problems. Aerodynamic could be good, if that is issue for low speeds of 15-20 MPH average...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Such layout is simple to design and cheaper to build:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Three-point chassis could be relatively simple but strong, and with integrated top could be of cage-type...[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Onyl three wheels compere to four, with simple steering; [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Power could be on one rear wheel only, or for HPV-hybrids: one wheel for pedaling and another for engine/motor...[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]For me issues should be: new stronger wheels than those that I have now on my HPV-qaudricycle, and stronger front fork (all that from mopeds?)...[/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Kai,
For me it is new and looks as quite well made velocar. Interesting "nose" and front fenders/mudguards... I would like to see front suspension and steering system.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
One practical question about ergonomic scheme for velocars: axle of pedals is on the same horisontal level as riders seat? Seat is horisontal with inclined back-rest?

I remember my old affair with promenade-quadricycle that my first wife and I rented some 35 years ago: seats were high, pedals too close and too high: terrible position for pedaling, speed was low (now any kind of gears) and quite heavy vehicle... Variant to be avoided, in spite being quite strong and durable.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]What is your experience with pedal-power of your velocar?
[/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
P.S.: From scanned book about old French velocars, I remember the sketch explaining my dilemma... In spite that do not know french language, I supposed that their suggestion was to use low seating position with horisontal stretched legs and not one with high seating? ... and with back-rest inclined a lot /recumbent style)

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Annie,
When I lived in Belgrade, I tought about buying one old and reconstruct it totally in-to motorised quadricycle. Good thing is only that they have strong base-chassis, wheels, brakes, suspension and steering - enough for their heavy weight and up to 4 perosns... Everything else I should cut!

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
These promenade quadricycles are not build for speed.
They have to last a long time without repair.
With higher speed the danger of damages rises, so they are build slow.

A fast four seat, four pedal vehicle is the one from trisled.
http://www.recumbent-gallery.eu/velomobile-for-four-riders/
Material: CroMo steel frame with coroplast shell.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.368701736495204.91782.164374643594582&type=3

But it lacks the classic appearance, IWB wants so much on a pedalcar :)

Kai

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.368701736495204.91782.164374643594582&type=3

Kai
Very interesting mechanically Kai, but far too Star Wars looking for me :)

I remember when the guy from Trisled was starting out, - he's come a long way since then.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
These promenade quadricycles are not build for speed.
They have to last a long time without repair.
With higher speed the danger of damages rises, so they are build slow.

Kai
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]... and, where to find additional 2 persons? No kidding - four persons are too much for my taste for cruising around, even in salon cars.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Kai, [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Shape is excellent, as entire design and construction. However, it seems that I was going to same school as Annie, only many years before her - I prefer classic look of velocars. Beside classic shape is quite practical and cheap. That UFO had excellent chassis that could be used for two-seat version with modifications. However, too complicated and too expensive for ordinary enthusiast. I am not sure if it could be maneuverable on town’s streets - too long and with too small turning angle of front wheels? From comment on their web-site:

"[FONT=Courier New, monospace]... 1200mm wide and around 4500 long...[/FONT]"

However, maybe I would like it next time when it become classic and I young again?
[/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is a Cuban Riquimbili, taken from an article about "technological disobedience", a phrase coined by Ernesto Oroza.

This trike is from the same page.