New and no spark.

GoldenMotor.com

electron

Sep 10, 2014
Adelaide
Getting close now!
U could file a bit off the padel, get a wider pedal crank from the bicycle shop or i was able to shift the bearings away from the exhaust, by loosening one bearing retainer and tightening the other (i used loctite here).

Try different choke settings ie. Around the up position (closed).
If u press the primer button on the carby (carburettor), u should see a little bit of fuel move down in the fuel line (bubbles up). It may need a few goes and a brisk speed to get it started.

Otherwise, search the ignition troubleshooting threads here, but keep us posted, please.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090

Last edited:

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
Okay, I Did get the muffler on. I ended up drilling it kinda egg shaped and finally got it to go on nicely. Thanks for that advice. I Didn't get the motor going. I pedaled like the wind and it didn't turn over. So I took a video of the inside of my pocket so you can hear the noise it's making. I didn't pedal qiickly but it is the same noise nonetheless. Here's the link
View My Video
It's kinda funny. I hope it makes the diagnosis easy!

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
I took off my carb and it was full and nothing getting out of it. I checked the gas cap which has a peen that looks good so now to put this carb back together. Fingers crossed

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
I got it out back together and tried it really quick because I had to go to work now but it didn't start and my brain is swimming so I dunno what I could have forgotten. Made the same noise. Getting there, I suppose! Thanks, any and all thoughts are welcomed, Liza

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Hi again Liza ... I see your still struggling ... I think your just going ta hafta find yourself a "motor-head" guy ta do yer ridin' with ... lo
I'm feeling for ya ... First I will tell you that sometimes with little motors it takes determination that any 'normal' percson would just give up on .. if they have been flooded and your mixture is a little rich on top of that... oh boy do you need somebody elses' legs .. ta keep tryin ta start 'em ... they can be mighty stubborn !
I sold a bike too a guy this summer ( actually he bought 3 off me ) that insists on trying too just pull up too the gas pumps...dump in somw oil ... then add a couple dollars gas , give it a bit of a shake ... and ride away . Boy that would be nice ... anyways .. too make a long story short , he has called me for help .. rode up to my place half lookin 'left for dead' and just could get it gowin ... I get on it and pedal the thing with determination and 'fire' in every stroke of the pedals not taking 'no' for an answer .... and .. low and behold it does finally start ( after .. trying a start .. drying plugs and 'airing out' cylinder by pedaling around in a few circles with the plug still out ..just kinda helps ta dry that fuel out the chambers and crankcase a little bit extra .. ) So don't be discouraged

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
So I thank you for your encouragement and I have no mind to give up. I'm on my lunch break and I'm going to put the pedal to the proverb... Here's to hoping I get to say tj

LizaLaw

Sep 12, 2014
Morro Bay, CA
Have I mentioned that I replaced the cdi and the magneto? And the spark plug is new... What gives? I'm seriously vexed now. I doubt I've ever gotten a spark. Who knows?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Are you getting gas to the carburetor? If you disconnect the gas line at the carburetor does gas flow out of the line?

It seems to me that if you are getting gas from the carb into the combustion chamber and it isn't firing then the plug should be wet from unburned fuel. If the plug remains dry after seriously trying to get the engine to fire then something is wrong in either the gas tank, fuel line, fuel filter or carburetor. Without fuel it doesn't matter if you have spark or not. See if you have fuel getting through the line to the carburetor.
Don't give up!
SB