twist grip shifter?

GoldenMotor.com

Indybiker

Mar 9, 2010
Indiana
I am looking at mountain bikes to do my first build, and have this question. How do I deal with a twist grip shifter on the throttle side?

thanks

Indybiker

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Yep, that's an answer i've been loking for.

I much prefer a twist grip shifter to a thumb shift.
I heard that SRAM does a left hand side 9 speed twist grip shifter but there is nothing available on either the SRAM site or the web.

It's plain frustration that nobody seems to manufacture a left hand side twist grip shifter set.

Fabian

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
A method that I have tried is to flip the right hand shifter over, and install upside down (sorta) on the left- takes a minute of getting used to. Admittedly, this may not be for everyone- but worked for my bike. Easy enough for me to work the clutch, and shifter, -throttle and brake.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I have a grip shifter on the right as well. I just moved the shifter farther in toward the center of the bars and attached the throttle to the bar as usual. All is well.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I am looking at mountain bikes to do my first build, and have this question. How do I deal with a twist grip shifter on the throttle side?
With the Shifter Kits we recommend moving it to the left side. Sure the numbers are upside down in relation to the cockpit, but they are perfectly logical to left handed shifting progression of the rear derailleur. Twist and go!

Our 8 speed Grip Shifter, we also have 6 and 7 speeds

Indybiker

Mar 9, 2010
Indiana
Thanks for the advice. I have never had any experience with twist shifters and didn't know how thwy mounted to the bar. Was kind'a afraid of buying a bike with one witch really limited my selection, but now I know that I can work with it. Well got to go wife is ready to go looking for a bike.

thanks again

Indybiker

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
My new bike has a twist grip and I just moved it over to the left hand side. It's actually my first bike with a twist shift, so I didn't have to get used to having it on the left. And to me it makes more sense. To speed up with the motor, twist towards yourself. To get to faster gears, twist towards yourself, works for me :).

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
my trek 4500 was thumb type shift. BUT if it were grip, id go leftie, OR slide more inwards. contemplating next build though, need either a roadbike frame, or a decent MTB. cause last thign i need is weight ( excessive)