so what happens

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was searching ebay today for a larger engine for the week eater bike. In looking through the chainsaws I came upon one that had been run on pure gasoline and had frozen up.

I never knew and never asked anyone so here it is... When that happens what is usually the damage and how does one fix it since it might happen to a china bike if we were to mix up our premix with pure gas.

IE the worlds worst case of Alzheimer's

It also appears and I'm sure I'm wrong, that the sprocket on the chain saw is compatable with our 415 chain. If that is true, the darn thing would be a rack mount engine with just a minor change or two. Someone who knows more than me please explain my error in thinking and save me a lot of time and trouble.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I was searching ebay today for a larger engine for the week eater bike. In looking through the chainsaws I came upon one that had been run on pure gasoline and had frozen up.

I never knew and never asked anyone so here it is... When that happens what is usually the damage and how does one fix it since it might happen to a china bike if we were to mix up our premix with pure gas.

IE the worlds worst case of Alzheimer's

It also appears and I'm sure I'm wrong, that the sprocket on the chain saw is compatable with our 415 chain. If that is true, the darn thing would be a rack mount engine with just a minor change or two. Someone who knows more than me please explain my error in thinking and save me a lot of time and trouble.
The damage could be quite severe to the cylinder wall. Or it could be cleaned up, new rings/piston and good to go - or at least a leetle schmokey. I'm sure there are some "nice" images on the web. If you can get it for near free, then what the hey.

Dunno about chainsaw chain pitch and stuff

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Looks like the pitch on the full sized chainsaws is 3/8 and that is the 415 I think. The space I don't know about. I got an idea they are the same more or less. If that is the case I can just pick up a rear sprocket and should be good to go.

thanks for the info seize. So all the damage will be on the upper end. I was afraid of rod and bearing damage.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
i tkink you are right about top end, on a high quality 2stroke chain saw engine might be sleeved so a hone job could bring it back, it might have gotten the crank bearings though. i was about to do that but this new $185.00 kit is my next must have. good luck. mitch

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
on a chainsaw , it is a different drive for the chain itself , it is not a tooth sprocket, you would have to put on a tooth sprocket that fit your chain and your driven!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks I had that question when I saw the chain drive. It looked like a gear not a sprocket. I might get my neighbor to weld the #35 sprocket I have onto the chain saw clutch and go with the scooter wheel friction drive. I can't imagine a direct drive to the bike running very well with a 40cc engine. Then again who knows.

One of the things I read was about a guy putting a bike sprocket on the chainsaw and running his mountain bike gears with it. He just welded the pedals on so they looked like a regular bike.

With centrifugal clutch and about six gears minimum it might work okay. I think he started with a bike with two front chain rings. used one for the bike to chainsaw and the other to the rear wheel. Does that sound doable.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since I am going to have to weld a sprocket, I can pretty much put anything I want on it. I might go with the #35 sprocket and wheel I already have. Then again I might go with the bike sprocket I also have one of those from the a rear coaster brake wheel. It is pretty big and with that high speed chain saw engine the bike might fly apart if I went that way. I guess I could pick up a #41 sprocket from a hardware store and have it welded to the centrifugal clutch of the chainsaw.