oh china girl smh

GoldenMotor.com

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
My china girl has 215 miles on her, everything stock except the fuel line and fuel filter, I went to lunch worked fine, it did stall when I stopped, I may get a backfire when I try to start it then It makes a noise like my spark plug wire is disconnected, any ideas? Spark plug, mag,cdi?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
My china girl has 215 miles on her, everything stock except the fuel line and fuel filter, I went to lunch worked fine, it did stall when I stopped, I may get a backfire when I try to start it then It makes a noise like my spark plug wire is disconnected, any ideas? Spark plug, mag,cdi?
It does sound like a spark problem. Screws and bolts loosen up at the darndest times.
If your wiring is solid, you might take a look at the black ground wire under the mag cover. If the screw is loose it might backfire and whatnot.
Clean it and tighten it up. Also check that the blue wire is soldered on good.
You can run a search for a page on here about ignition troubleshooting.

A cheap multimeter is a great tool to have. Harbor Freight has them for a few dollars.
Good luck, hope it's something easy.

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
So on my way home I was still trying to start it ( two miles) still no luck, but when I go down hill I get a couple pops like it wants to start, and when I throttle it I hear the motor humm deepen

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
got 2 bad CDIs here that did that last week - if you spin them REALLY fast they'll spark at right time, but at any normal speed, they randomly spark sometimes and backfire all the way thru to the air filter

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
So just order a cdi then?, update ...i took mag off cleaned it ..it was a lil wet on the one side..installed a pull start, took boot off spark plug and connected bare wire held my hand took a couple pulls no shock, go figure the one time I look forward to gettin shocked nothin.. I'm on a very tight budget till holloween and would want to get a cdi and a mag if I only need one, I'll get the other payday

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So just order a cdi then?, update ...i took mag off cleaned it ..it was a lil wet on the one side..
99% chance it's the magneto.
Test with an ohm meter and you will know for sure.

Does your mag have a white wire and thin copper strand coming out the top
of the winding that is soldered onto the body?

Blue to white = around 350 ohms
Blue to black (ground ) = around 350 ohms

If open reading they are bad.

Try blue to where the thin copper strand comes out because that strand of wire commonly breaks and is where the black ground comes from.
It's possible to resolder that strand.

Another fix is to take the white wire and ground it under the screw where
the black wire was and your mag will work.

If blue to white is dead so are you. ;)

If you have the new style wired mags it's slightly different.

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
I don't have an ohm meter, I just ordered a new mag and cdi, then payday ill order another set, when they get here ill just replace THE CDI AND SEE IF IT WORKS ONLY CUZ crassius nailed it on the head when de described what it was doing and better than I could lol

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I don't have an ohm meter, I just ordered a new mag and cdi, then payday ill order another set, when they get here ill just replace THE CDI AND SEE IF IT WORKS ONLY CUZ crassius nailed it on the head when de described what it was doing and better than I could lol
Did you try this? ;)
Another fix is to take the white wire and ground it under the screw where
the black wire was and your mag will work.

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
Update: got home black to black blue to blue, and it fired right up, but now I'm getting high revving at idle of I give throttle it revvs high but just, barely twisting the throttle its fine and more than a 8th of a turn it screams at me

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
was thinking 1/8 turn of idle screw, but realize it may be 1/8 turn of twist grip - not near bike right now, but 1/8 turn may be the whole thing from idle to full speed