centrifugal clutch, places to buy

GoldenMotor.com

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
There are an endless number of places to buy clutches. Any go-kart supplier. I've always bought my kart supplies from gokartsupply.com and received them the next day but that's because they're only one state away from me, but they do ship fast. Northerntool.com also has clutches. Tractor Supply Co. usually has at least a 5/8" and 3/4" bore but my local TSC store specializes in empty shelves. I'm in a small town and have no other choice at all. Easiest thing in the world to find online.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Note these are of no use without the pull start kit too. Turns out to be a very expensive "upgrade". Personally I find pull starting a pain and much prefer to pedal start.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
Note these are of no use without the pull start kit too. Turns out to be a very expensive "upgrade". Personally I find pull starting a pain and much prefer to pedal start.
None of the retrofit centrifugal clutch kits that I have seen for the HT motors require a pull start. There are two types of centrifugal clutches for these motors. The most common retrofit kits retain the hand clutch and has a one way mechanism on the centrifugal clutch that allows you to start the motor by pedaling and releasing the hand clutch just as before. Once started, the motor can idle at a stop without use of the hand clutch. I have not used one myself. The motors that come with the centrifugal clutch only are different. They are the ones that need a pull start.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
anyone know which clutch listed above needs a pull start? I know the clutch sold on zoom bicycles does not need a pull start, i called them. they are currently sold out.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
None of the retrofit centrifugal clutch kits that I have seen for the HT motors require a pull start. There are two types of centrifugal clutches for these motors. The most common retrofit kits retain the hand clutch and has a one way mechanism on the centrifugal clutch that allows you to start the motor by pedaling and releasing the hand clutch just as before. Once started, the motor can idle at a stop without use of the hand clutch. I have not used one myself. The motors that come with the centrifugal clutch only are different. They are the ones that need a pull start.
I stand corrected. The add-on I bought from BGF few years back and all the ones on my 4 stroke kits need a pull start. It was the single reason I've avoided them. Guess I'll give the Zoom ones a try when they come in. Thanks for bringing me up to speed. (Very punny! :) ).

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
:-||

does anyone know how to get the centrifugal clutch the little hat bushing on the engine crank without cracking it?

ive tried heating it and gently hitting it with a socket and hammer and crack... i was able to get ahold of another one but im afraid it will do it again....

also the one that cracked slipped i have to i guess cut a hole where the key was and use the stock key... seems when they made these they thought friction would hold it together.... they were wrong.. mine slipped like ****..

my email incase you want a direct response.. [email protected]

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I got my centrifugal clutch from ZoomCycles and it does not require a pull-start. Just start the engine by pedaling and releasing the hand clutch just as before. Once started, you can forget about using the hand clutch because the motor can idle at a stop without use of the hand clutch.
I would recommend not installing the unit as it is out of the box, because it relies on a taper-fit to lock things together.
You would be better off to cut a keyway in the clutch and use the Woodruff key that originally held the original gear in place. Depending on tolerances, you might have to machine away some of the taper in the clutch so that it can slide far enough onto the crankshaft so it doesn't hit the cover when you install it.
Once installed, I find that it works great, and all my future MBs are going to have the centrifugal clutch installed on them.