Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I was wondering what are everyone's reasons for riding a motorized bicycle to a destination over biking.

my reasons are: Time(i can get there faster)
Sweat(i can get there dryer)
I'd like to find other ideas from everyone else.
so.... Why?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Motorhead for years, then lived on a sailboat for a while jus' cruising the coast... can't have a car, they sink so bicycles it was.

Moved back ashore & was promptly reminded how much a car costs to own & operate even if not a hobby, stunned by the contrast I refused to do it again.

I now spend all that money on just toys... erm... "alternative transportation solutions" *whistles innocently* Best of both worlds I figure ;)

Last edited:

Racko

Jul 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Re: Reasons for riding MB

The style!

Being 17 I have a car but ridding to school and throwing my beauty on the flag pole right in the front of the school, it definitely catches the eye of everyone who walks in!

And who doesn't love the look of someone when you pull in anywhere and they are trying to figure out what on earth you are riding!

But most of all I just love to ride, always puts me in the best mood

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia

Difficulty and unreliable public transportation - where it would take 2 hours for the bus, would probably take 45 min on my MB. No waiting time. Also, i like fiddling with metal things that has wires. I used to do R/C Nitro before, but now it's just like having an R/C toy that you can ride at an acceptable speed. However, speed is relative... :D

My backpack would probably weigh about 10 kgs. so if I pedal, i would be tired to work and would be sweating a whole lot more. It's safer because i can keep up with traffic. Bicycle lanes are unheard of in this part of the globe where i'm at.

Last edited:

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico

I need a grocery grabber ,post office runs ,church,to the ocean,kite flying,getting around on a cup of gas lol bus stop is 10 miles away .

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio

After the recession began in 2009, I lost my job in the manufacturing sector (steel service center). This got me behind on support payments and the state took away my license to drive. I bought the kit because it is impossible for me to survive without having the ability to get more than 10 miles. I live in a rural area where jobs I am experienced for may be up to a 30 minute drive away - too far to walk, too old to ride a bike to and fro ever day to find work or get to a job. I bought an HT as a lifeline of sorts. I've tinkered with it enough that I feel confident that it can be dependable as long as you have a few backup parts available.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Cheaper than hot rods and just as much fun. I have four bikes currently, 3 running and the latest build almost ready to hit the steets.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Exploring.

I like to take the long slow ride thru other neighborhoods and see more of the city I live in.

Just don't seem right in my car or on the MC.

On the ebike I can go really slow and get a good look w/o seeming suspicious.

If I need to get something done I take the car. If I want to go have fun up the freeway I take the MC.

If I want to take the slo-ride, it's the MB.

Lotsa rides for different things. The best tool for the job.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

A friend at work came up with the idea when he had some bad luck with the men in blue, he wanted me to find him an alternate means of transportation. I started searching the net and found these ht kits, I built mine first among our group now there are seven of us. Being over fifty I call it the mid life crises or my return to childhood. Either way riding a Mb is just plain fun to me.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

For me, it started off with a conversation with a statie about Guinness Stout. Since I've become involved with gasbikes, I have 'drank the coolaid', and as long as I can grasp a 9/16 wren... I mean 10mm wrench, I will joyfully own one of these contraptions.
Obscene amount of fun..bld.dance1.bf.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

Lost my license and needed a way around. Rather than incurring more driving-without-a-license charges, I got one of these. My first bike actually cost less than the aforementioned charge.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I've had motorcycles off and on for 30 years. I'd started to get the itch again, and began to research what my next 'addiction' should be. I found a listing for a motor bicycle ---- thought they must've had a typo. Nope......the danged thing intrigued me.

Thought that this might cure the 'itch' for another motorcycle, and it did! I don't care so much about going fast or far anymore. I just want to be able to go......and it does! I've got less in this project than just the yearly insurance would've been on a motorcycle. Also, this machine has started more conversations than any motorcycle I've ever owned.

I'm now hooked. Starting to think about my next project and how to make it better for me. I've got an employee that could use a motor bicycle........might just give him my current one when I get the next one built.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

xseler- I've got a buddy that's about 60, heard stories from guys that he was a real badaz biker type back around the time I was born, he wants me to build him a trike!:) It's the itch man...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois

I agree with the reasons above. But I also have another one; I am just sick to death of driving a car.

It's just one red light after another. Just when you get up to speed, everyone has to stop again. You're surrounded by others. Most of them aren't truly rude, but most of them aren't enjoying themselves either. They pack in around you and each other. It doesn't occur to them that they should give even an inch of space in case something goes wrong. You get the idea.....

I'm also convinced that being in a car everyday is unhealthy. Just getting in and out of the stupid thing over and over again becomes painful quickly. Most of my neighbors never, literally never, walk beyond their property line. If they leave their homes, they do it in a car.

I alternate between a motorized bike and a plain old pedal bicycle. I'll ride one for two or three weeks until I get the urge for the other. Even in bad weather it feels good. The weather has to be extreme before I find myself thinking, 'this is misery. I wish I weren't out here.' I doubt if that happens more than once a year.

Repeat after me; "Four wheels baaaadd, Two wheels goooddd".

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL

The reasons I would say that I got into this was I was able to get just about everything for free out of the garbage, I like to tinker with things, and it's super cool. Ever since the first time I went to the Florida Flywheelers swap meet I've been wanting one. Plus, my truck, depending on how it feels, gets anywhere from 4-30 mpg; 4-15 on the highway, 20-30 in town.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

I have yet to hear, I love sticking it to the gas companies:)
Just imagine if for 1 month everyone rode one, the gas companies would be
screaming, buy some more gas here we'll lower the price LOL
Plus it's fun to ride