Whats a great cruiser bike for my next build??

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
My bike now is a mountain bike.... Rough as **** over the bumby roads.... Whats a good bike w/ shocks thats not a tough build??

How bout a 29, bigger wheels........

I also would like it to be able to fit a jackshaft....... I think that is the ultimate setup... Power for pulling my trailer, and speed for getting to the store before they quit selling beer........

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a built up Huffy cruiser with 700C wheels- the newer but not terribly new oversized tubing - not too heavy- Bought the whole bike used on Craigslist for 30 dollars- but used mostly just the frame. And then I found a spare frame just like it last fall for $10. Life is good.

A cruiser generally gives you more clearance for the motor and jackshaft I presume- With lightweight fast rolling wheels they really handle much like a roadbike, but the longer top tube puts the tank out of pedalling way.

You can get 1 inch threaded suspension forks for about $28 on e-bay- I have one build with one- they are a bit heavy, but they do smooth the ride and maybe even give you better grip and control over bumps. I had a thread here a couple of weeks back:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40551

Or you can go the cruiser springer fork route- longer wheelbase then, and more expensive.

For the back, I just use a shock seat post- not too expensive and works well with a sprung cruiser saddle

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Springers dont have to be expensive either. I think it was on bikebuyers.com I saw them for $35 plus shipping, 1" threaded as well. I got lucky and found a junk bike that I salvaged the forks from. Always keep an eye out for junk bikes. you can get many a decent part off of trashed bikes. the one I found was just driven till it was mostly destroyed, then abandoned. torn seat, brake pads worn to nothing, pedals broken, handlebars askew. Forks and front wheel were about the only thing I used besides cables. I have a Worksman front drum wheel now though.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Springers have the best ride for me. One of my bikes had cheap suspension forks, but they were still pretty rough. Better than nothing though. These springers come in straight, and bent styles like these. They have the softest ride I've sampled yet.