Will Cops harras you with Mototrized Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

marluzkat

Apr 10, 2011
New Jersey
Hey guys looking to start my hobby on gas powered bicycle. I was wondering since I am new. If I were to ride this on the road will the cops harras me ?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
It depends.

It depends if you ride like a jerk or a sensible rider, and if your bike is loud.

I've only been cautioned once in six years. On that occasion, I was in the middle lane during rush hour traffic. The cop blipped me and pointed me to the curb lane. He didn't see that I could keep up with traffic and assumed I needed to ride slowly, not 35 mph.

On another occasion, I was in the curb lane, idling a a stop. I saw a sedan approaching behind me with his turn signal on. I scooted over to the extreme left of the curb lane, so he could make his right turn. The car stopped next to me for a few seconds, then made his right turn.

It was a cop.

They have their hands full with loud, obnoxious moped riders here, close to a thousand of them.

There MIGHT be less than five regular MB riders on the road here, although I only know of one other.xct2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do a little research on the laws in your area pertaining to motor assisted bicycles. Then, abide by those rules and the police won't bother you.
As was stated above; ride sensibly, keep the muffler in place and you won't attract unwanted attention. Good luck, have fun.
Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Once you start disregarding stop signs and traffic lights, they'll give you a hard look.

marluzkat

Apr 10, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks guys I will take you advise and abid by the law. My other questions is can your ride these on the side of the road now with traffic?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
You would have to register it as a moped AND have a valid drivers license.
Once you register and as long as you have a DL, you're good to go!

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
But I DO know...
Title 39-1

Don't worry about my posts. I actually have a dual residence in both states.
Here's a link to the NJ moped manual for those that doubt me...
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/99-00mop.pdf
Everything you need to know is in that PDF.

Fxs
How long does it take you to go from FL to NJ with your electric bicycle? LOL!

Im not "worried" about your posts.

Its just that you were point blank wrong on other topics/ posts. You know what i'm referring to, and that is a closed topic.

Your NJ Moped Manual that you've shared is a good reference tool.
Does FL DMV have a similar document?

:)

add:
What does Fxs mean?

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
You must live under a bridge, cause that was obviously a troll...
Anyways....
In NJ, a moped must be registered AND titled and you Need insurance and have a valid drivers license (or moped license, if you don't have a DL yet).

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The titling part maybe your Achilles Heal....

You would have to call a regional DMV and see how you would title a "homemade moped".