Throttle Mounting: Hole or No Hole?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Just wondering about how others mount their throttles onto the handlebars.
Do you drill the hole into the handlebar for the pin to go into, or do you grind away the pin and mount it relying on the clamping force of the throttle clamp?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I always drill the hole. It assures me the throttle won't turn if I didn't get the screws super tight. Most of my kits had a metal pin, but some have plastic. Either way, I like to make use of the pin. Just have to make sure it's where you want it before drilling.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've always drilled. It in no way compromises the strength of the handlebars and assures that the twist grip stays put. Relying on the plastic and clamping action is not the best idea. It will eventually loosen.
I've heard of people wrapping the bar with tape, sandpaper and even, heaven forbid, using JB Weld to keep the twist grip in place. :(
Drill the bar.
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I ground most of the post down leaving a little nubbin sticking out. When I tightened the screws it digs into the aluminum and doesn't turn. I did that because I'm one of the one's that didn't get a instruction manual.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I... and even, heaven forbid, using JB Weld to keep the twist grip in place. :(
Drill the bar.
Tom
I've noticed a fascination, even up to the point of fetishism of using JB Weld as a cure and solution to many of the problems found with MBs.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i have used jb for so many thing i love the stuff,know a guy that fixed a cracked block on an old farmall tractor worked great, i once rebuilt a rusted out float bowl on a minneapolis-moline tractor, no problems.

ajax

Sep 30, 2010
calgary
i didn't have a drill when i mounted mine and removed the metal nub wrapped the bar with tape and it's fine but i have built a few and prefer drilled.